Need advice on choosing a villa for family vacation

Travel discussion for St. John
Heidi76

Need advice on choosing a villa for family vacation

Post by Heidi76 »

Hello! I'm in the middle of planning our vacation to St. John and I could really use some help in choosing a vacation villa. Dh and I were there about 10 years ago and stayed at Caneel. We fell in love with the island and are excited to now explore this beautiful island with our 2 kids (ages 9 and 6).
We'll be traveling in April (high season) and would like to keep the budget for the accommodations to $3000 or less. We'd like 2 bedrooms, access to a small pool, and a deck or balcony to enjoy ocean views. Last time we were in St. John we enjoyed nightly trips into Cruz Bay for dinners so we'd like easy access into town. It would be great if we could walk but we'll be renting a jeep so an easy drive would be ok too. I know we would be getting a luxury villa in our budget but I'm holing for clean, comfortable, good location, and relatively updated.
My searching on vrbo has brought up possibilities at Battery Hill, Grande Bay, and Cruz Views. Can anyone share any opinions on these properties? I've read some reviews that there may be excessive noise from town at some, or construction near others, etc. Any thoughts on these or suggestions for other places to look?
Also, I have narrowed down my search to Cruz Bay because I know we'll be going into town every evening after a day of beach/pool but Im now wondering if there are other areas I should also look into that would still be quick and easy to get into town but is a little removed from the center of town where noise may be an issue. Any advice is welcomed...Im really excited for this trip and want to choose a great place to stay! :D
PatrickMcc

Re: Need advice on choosing a villa for family vacation

Post by PatrickMcc »

We have stayed at Battery Hill and Lavender years ago when our kids were teenagers and enjoyed both. The two bedroom units at Lavender hill are on the top floors. they have two baths are very spacious and have a lot of deck space. The unit at Battery hill was much smaller with one bath and a small outdoor area but nice. Both had great views. That aid there are a lot of nice villa between Cruz Bay and Rendevous Bay that are an easy drive to town. Good luck.
Chardonnay

Post by Chardonnay »

We have a villa which I think you'd enjoy and is only about 10 minutes from town, 5 minutes to grocery shopping. We are located in Great Cruz Bay Estates, a very quiet established neighborhood. Check out http://www.vrbo.com/466293
It's also a short easy walk to the Westin where the children could enjoy a sandy beach on days when you don't want to pack up the car for the North Shore beaches.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

We will be staying at Grande Bay in town in August, it is VRBO #328461, the owner is a wonderful person and great to work with, best of luck on your search :)
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

Heidi,

You are correct in thinking that noise from the Cruz Bay bar bands can be heard at Battery Hill, Grande Bay, Lavender Hill and Gallows Point, and probably in that order. It's a matter of proximity, primarily. We usually stay at Battery Hill, so we're well acquainted with this issue. But there never seem to be more than two evening concerts per week and the AC in the bedroom masks the noise quite well so it never disrupts our sleep.

There's a 2BR villa called Gallows Point Seaview Beach Cottage right across from Gallows Point Resort that you might want to consider. It's walking distance to Cruz Bay but around the point, past Lavender Hill, so it's probably less noisy than the condos mentioned above. Nice view of sunsets over Pillsbury Sound from two deck areas. No pool, but you may be able to negotiate access to the pool at Gallows Point across the street. Not sure if it fits your budget. Google it and you'll find a map with its location on the website.

TM
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Consider something like: http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/property/aqua-gem/
I've never stayed there, but it fits your description and budget. It's above the Westin, which is great to visit with kids (playground, parrots, iguana feedings).
Tickerless :(
MadCityMom

Post by MadCityMom »

We stayed at Pink Conch in Great Cruz Bay a few years ago. It was lovely. Two bedrooms, great views, nice bedrooms with very cool outdoor showers and balconies, lovely pool and pool deck. Could hear some music from the Westin at night but would not consider it to be loud. We stayed with my husband and I, mother-in-law and then 20 mo old. Close to Cruz Bay but will need a Jeep. You will want one anyway. Mid-April it is $3,080 a week.
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

I can expound on TM's suggestion of Seaview Cottage. We just got back from there on 7/13 and it was awesome. It's actually for sale for 2.99 million if you want to buy it! Anyway, the decor needs some updating but I can understand that now that it is for sale. Why pay to upgrade it? Other than that, it was perfect for us. The 2 BRs are spacious and each have their own bathroom. The kitchen area is in the middle of 2 outdoor patios which was cool. Each BR had an outdoor area that met in the middle with the kitchen. The best part about it was the location. We didn't have any issues with noise other than 1 night, the house behind us had a bash and it was pretty loud for the one bedroom. We ended our day somewhere in Cruz Bay so it was a 3 minute walk to everything.

And yes, we asked the owner (may be management company owner, not house owner but not sure) if we could use Gallows Point's amenities and he said if we were approached, tell them where we were staying and his name and it wouldn't be a problem. I assume he has some sort of partnership with them. We swam in the pool 3 times and never was asked anything.

I just found out today it was for sale so I don't know how much longer, he'll be renting it but overall, we'd give it a 9 out 10! Good luck!
CHM

Post by CHM »

We stayed at Aqua Gem this year from June 26-July 1. It was a girls trip, but I thought it would be perfect for my husband and our 2 kids. The two bedrooms are downstairs, both kings with a private bath. The villa has interior stairs, but they are spiral. I think they would be fine for your kids, but a little steep for really young kids. There are stairs outside as well. Both rooms have doors out to the pool, but I do not think kids could reach the lock as it is up high. The pool is nice and the villa had pool toys as well as sand toys. The villa is not fancy (ie: no Viking Range, etc.) but it was nice and it was clean. Ocean Pearl is right next door. Aqua Gem is very close to the Westin, St. John Market and Cruz Bay. And this was the easiest check in / out process I have ever had on St. John.