Say It Ain't So...

Travel discussion for St. John
MN_Bhoy

Say It Ain't So...

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Invest 98L expected to develop over the next few days

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... model.html

Can anyone down there please give me some comfort? My wife and I arrive on Sat for a week and we're hoping to not spend the first few days dodging a storm.

Any words of encouragement (even if it's BS) would be much appreciated! :D
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
Tracy in WI

Re: Say It Ain't So...

Post by Tracy in WI »

Take a peek on FB at the page US Virgin Islands Tropical Hurricane Weather Station. They are following this one and give great detailed information.

I say it's headed North into open water and you'll be just fine (but that may be BS). My fingers and toes are crossed for you!!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Tracy - thanks for the info and good wishes/BS! We'll certainly be keeping an eye on it...
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
MNTroy

Post by MNTroy »

Just checked a new post on Invest 98L's FB page and due to recent relationship difficulties, Invest has decided to take 2 weeks and visit Aruba. When I asked about the situation, I was told to mind my own business. I was then defriended and blocked. Some systems can be soooooo moody.
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

MNTroy wrote:Just checked a new post on Invest 98L's FB page and due to recent relationship difficulties, Invest has decided to take 2 weeks and visit Aruba. When I asked about the situation, I was told to mind my own business. I was then defriended and blocked. Some systems can be soooooo moody.
hahahahaha
Jenn, News of St. John
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

It is now a named storm - Dorian - projected at the moment to pass our longitude 64W about 100nm N at 20.1N
I find this site useful:
http://stormcarib.com/closest.cgi

But anyone who is stating an EXACT location for 96 hours out is the BS spinner.
Pia

Post by Pia »

We are in the "cone" so to speak. Currently expected (hopefully) to pass north of us Monday around 8am but we are still a long way from that (time wise) that we all know it could change in a heartbeat.

It also is no longer an Invest but upgraded to a tropical storm

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Thanks for the updates! I have been keeping an eye on it and "just north" of STJ on Monday seems to be the track. Let's hope it strays even further north than that!!!

Is it fair to assume that high surf and winds are on the cards for Sunday and Tuesday as well?

I know my concerns may sound selfish here as it's our one week/year on STJ, and I don't want to downplay the potential impact this may have on full-time residents. I really do hope this is a non-event for reasons other than my vacation plans.
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Fortunately, the intensity models show the wind speeds increasing a bit today, but then decreasing to 40 knots from Thursday through Sunday.

[EDIT] The wind speeds have been raised, and are now forecast to hit 55 knots (65 mph), still a tropical storm, but considerably stronger. The track is still holding well north of the VI.

All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Dorian - Please go away :) I will be watching this storm closely as we fly out on Friday morning. Heading to airport tomorrow - Can't believe it is finally here!!!!! So super excited. Staying on STJ Friday and coming over on the Ferry on Saturday. I hope the boat ride is fine. I am not a big fan of huge waves :oops:
rImage
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

Just blow on by, Dorian. I've waited 10 years for trip #2 and I will NOT have you spoil it. You better be WELL outta there by the time I arrive to catch teh ferry to Virgin Gorda on Thursday, and tell all your little friends back in Africa to just forget about venturing westward for awhile, too.

Booking during hurricane season is always a gamble, but a small one - the odds are so low that an H actually happens when you've booked. Trip insurance goes without saying, but it's small consolation after waiting soooooooooooooooooo long to go back.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

seagrape

Post by seagrape »

Get the roof done...get the roof done...get the roof done...okay, go to Virgin Gorda today instead! Roof is almost done anyway. :D
Effie

Post by Effie »

We fly down on Tuesday. If it passes on Monday, someone mentioned high surf and wind for the next couple days. Do the ferries ever not run because of this?