Smart Rentals Online, fraud?

Travel discussion for St. John
islandgirl79

Smart Rentals Online, fraud?

Post by islandgirl79 »

Hi all. So I'm trying to book a trip in February to the island. I've been looking all the usual places. This will be my first time to island during high season and I understand the prices will be higher. In my searching I got an email from a website http://smartrentalsonline.com/

They "responded" to my inquiry about a property in Chocolate Hole. I don't remember this site in particular, but I've emailed a bunch of different rental companies trying to find a good price. Well the price they gave me on this villa
http://smartrentalsonline.com/property- ... e-124.html
for February for 4 people was $2400 including tax and everything. This seems amazing! It's at least 1k less than most of the houses I've found. Seems too good to be true. Has anyone come across fraud in terms of villa rentals on St. John?
I checked on another property, cross referencing it with the villas VRBO listing. Not only did they say it was available when the other listing said it was booked, but they quoted me a price that was almost 2k less then it is listed as renting for.
I wanted to ask the forum if they've heard of Smart Rentals Online before? Also what I need to do to get them shut down before someone gives out their credit card number.

Thanks,
islandgirl79
happycanesfan

Re: Smart Rentals Online, fraud?

Post by happycanesfan »

Fraud...scam...for sure. This website has done this for other properties on St. John.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

This looks so fishy.

Pool Internet Access
Satellite Or Cable Tv Pet Friendly
Wheelchair Accessible Hot Tub
Air Conditioning Fireplace
Parking Included Outdoor Grill
Washer/Dryer Alarm system
DVD player Central stereo
Games Room Billiards
Library Bar
Fax machine Scanner

Printer Fully equipped kitchen

There is a fireplace? A games room? Billiards? And, they don't give the name of the villa. Oh, and they ask for a 100% deposit down.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
islandgirl79

Post by islandgirl79 »

What should I do to report them?
I emailed them to ask how I would proceed with payment, to see if they ask me for a wire transfer. They want my address, phone and full name but I don't want to give it to them so I think I'll stop with them now. I contacted Jenn on "News of St. John" blog to let her know of the scam. Should I email the rental companies on the island or is there a rental fraud site? I'd hate to see anyone get money taken.

-islandgirl
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

That is Allesandra, which is managed by Island Getaways. I would contact Island Getaways to let them know (the VRBO listing is also managed by Island Getaways):

http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/allesandra.htm

They charge $5400 plus tax for 4 in the high season.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I notified seashore allure that they were listed on it last week when this came up on another forum
If you see a property on the site, please take a moment and forward the link to the property manager or owner. It only takes a second.
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

I looked into this super quickly and found that the website wasn't created until September 12, 2013 - Pretty odd considering that the About Us section states Smart Rentals Online was founded in 1982.
Jenn, News of St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Taking deposits/payments for rentals that you are not actually representing is an old internet scam. Good thing you caught it -

You just have to be careful, use reputable sites, and verify as much as possible before sending anyone money.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Good morning everyone-

Here's a bit of an update to the Smart Rentals Online scam: http://newsofstjohn.com/2013/10/10/bewa ... ntal-site/
Jenn, News of St. John
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Well done Jenn.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Great job! Thanks so much for checking it out!
islandgirl79

Post by islandgirl79 »

Yes, I also found this site
http://awesomesmartrentals.com/index.php

I've posted an alert on Trip Advisor as well. Once the gov. shutdown stops I'll try to report the fraud if I can.

Good news is I think we found a house for Feb.

Thanks everyone!