Ever had a flat tire on STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
silverheels

Re: Ever had a flat tire on STJ?

Post by silverheels »

My sister and I had two flats at one time as we were heading out to Coral Bay. She wrote an extensive piece on the forum under the title Don't rent from Paris. It took two or more hours for them to fix the flats. The main problem we had was the charge of $100.00 for the flat tires. They were not courteous and could care
Less that we were stuck on the side of the road. Thanks to the road workers we were made comfortable.
[/url]
sloopjones

Post by sloopjones »

no do not carry fix a flat on a plane.

And always mark the tire,
anyone who works on the tire
should know there is fix a flat in it.
do you believe what you see or see what you believe
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I'm not sure exactly where on STJ but on STT you can find fix-a-flat cans almost anyplace from Costuless to the smallest neighborhood grocery store.
Do not bring it on a plane.
Many of the flat tire slow leak nail punctures are picked up at the dumpster sites and can be fixed enough to get you back to a more convenient place to change it out. Do inform the tire repair person it has fixaflat in the tire.
The flats that come from a hard hit on a pothole are usually from a bent tire rim - it needs to be pounded back to round to maintain a seal and is usually not a slow leak.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Yes! We had a tire blow out as we were heading up the hill by the Cruz Bay overlook on the North Shore road. We called Paris Car Rental and they came up and fixed the tire in the rain! We offered a $20 tip and we were on our way. Next time we will check the tires more carefully since the one that blew out was nearly bald!
Hope you had a fabulous trip Mary Beth!! Trip report soon come? :D
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
tochin

Post by tochin »

Got one just last week. We were driving on North shore rd when the low tire pressure light came on in the rental jeep. We arrived at Trunk and I could see the driver's side tire was getting soft. Luckily our jeep had a full size brand new spare tire and I changed the tire pretty quickly. I rented from Amalie in St. Thomas and they always have almost new if not brand new vehicles. I could see the pinhole in the tire.

I called Amalie, told them about the flat tire, and when I dropped on the jeep to begin our "walk of woe" at the airport on Saturday, Amy from Amalie was there. We told her about the tire and she said they would get it patched and that was it. No charge or hassle but again I change the tire myself and didn't need to call anyone.

Amalie has been top notch for us.
burgec

Post by burgec »

Yes indeed, wheel was stuck and wouldn't budge with all lug nuts remove. Had to lower the jeep all the way down and turn the wheel before it would come off.

We typically rent from caribbeanvillas given some of the challenges at other places and always been pleased with the jeeps and service. They were more than helpful offering to come out but i figured i could change it faster but they still trekked out to East End to pick up the flat.
jdjcmaso

Post by jdjcmaso »

One trip, I hit a pothole then drove to Starfish Market. When I came out, I had 2 flats. It was late, so I left the car there and hitched a ride back to the Westin. Next day I called Conrad Sutton and he came to the Westin and picked me up after he fixed the flats. I was charged quite a bit for tire replacement but don't remember how much.
Joe
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I had a flat on our last trip and it was totally my fault - hit the sidewall of the curb in our parking space at Grande Bay. It wasn't a hole, but a slice cut into the tire. We replaced it ourselves with the brand new spare and called our rental company, Amalie.

Due to it being my fault, we were charged about $240 for a new tire. I had no problem with that - the one I damaged was also brand new.

Hopefully I'll drive better next time! :oops:
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

Yes, a few times. We always rent from Cool Breeze and they have met us (once WAAAAY out on the east end, and really close to their closing time) with a new rental, and took care of it themselves. We were not charged. That being said, we didn't do anything to cause the flat.

Also, a tip: ALWAYS check the spare when you pick up the car. We have been given cars (not by Cool Breeze) with flat spares. Once was a really bad situation, and it ruins a whole day of vacation.
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen
pmk

Post by pmk »

My American Motorcycle Association membership comes with Roadside Assistance for both bikes and cars, and says it's valid in the US Virgin Islands. Luckily I've never had to test out the service. I wonder if AAA has something similar.....

pmk