Gluten Free Food

Travel discussion for St. John
HaveToTravel

Gluten Free Food

Post by HaveToTravel »

Hello,

Our trip is getting closer, and I am looking for restaurants on St John that serve gluten free food or have chefs that will carefully accommodate special food needs so that I can start contacting these restaurants in advance of our trip. It always helps to hear from others who have eaten gluten free and had good experiences. I saw an older thread on this, but Im looking for any new info that might be out there.

Thanks for all your help--it's made the trip planning so much better!
pswlrw

Re: Gluten Free Food

Post by pswlrw »

My daughter hsa gluten intolerance and has been to St. John multiple times.

Zozos are very accommodating and always her favorite meal. She always has a bacon cheeseburger at Skinnys with no bun. She and her friends enjoyed tacos at Castaways and we had dinner at Sun Dog Cafe, where they were very helpful (but I don't recall what she had). On our boat day, we ended up at Foxys Taboo and shared a great grilled chicken, rice and salad lunch. I believe Sam and Jack's has gluten free bread for sandwiches. I don't recall if Starfish has gluten free; I brought down bread, bagels and pasta for her. Even at the Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay snack bars she was able to find lunch choices. Hope this helps.
Paula

bayer40601

Post by bayer40601 »

I have found that nearly every restaurant on STJ is very aware of gluten intolerance and very accommodating in offering gluten-free options. Do not hesitate to call any particular restaurant ahead of time and discuss what they may have on the date you hope to be in their restaurant.

One thing I did learn this trip is that Sam and Jacks on the third floor of the Marketplace (where Starfish is located) carries GF bread. It is best to contact them before you head down so they can make sure they have it in stock. The bread they had this latest trip (9/28-10/5) was some of the best GF bread I have ever had. They will also make you GF sandwiches with the GF bread.
How many more days?
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I have celiac disease so this is a very important topic for me...and thank goodness that many restaurants on STJ are accommodating. Let me see if I can dig up some old posts of mine...
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

See:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... nqPSxA0-So

Also, I was able to have the beef nachos at the Tourist Trap.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
pcs15

Post by pcs15 »

I was surprised to see a section at Starfish devoted to gluten free (have a friend with celiac). I couldn't tell you exactly what they have but it was a specific area in the store.
HaveToTravel

Post by HaveToTravel »

Thank you--this is very helpful. I know my family is hoping to eat most dinners out and I was worried that wasn't going to work for me. Getting glutened with Celiac or gluten intolerance is never good, but it's even worse on vacation!
byado18

Post by byado18 »

We always take a few basics with us. We have found that both Starfish and St. John market have GF foods. We always make reservations a day or two ahead and tell them of our food requirements. We have found that places have suggestions and options! Sometimes the GF dish they come up with is better than the menu items!
Kim

Post by Kim »

I love the sandwiches at Sam & Jack's with their GF bread, so good!! Last trip, Tourist Trap happily made me a lobster roll with lettuce instead of the roll....makes my mouth water just thinking about it! I didn't have too many issues finding options dining out, but also did bring along a few staples just in case. Good luck and have an awesome time :)