Sending a package ahead of time?

Travel discussion for St. John
Becky&Mike

Sending a package ahead of time?

Post by Becky&Mike »

So I just talked with our villa rep to see about shipping a package ahead of time with things like our snorkel gear and other non perishable food items.....she seemed to think it would be very costly, and would have to plan, as it could take up to a week or more to arrive......can anyone give me insight or advice?? If you've done this....how did you go about it?? Thanks!!
Xislandgirl

Re: Sending a package ahead of time?

Post by Xislandgirl »

We do it every trip. It is not costly, in my opinion.

USPS Priority mail in the USPS boxes. I do not recommend sending any other way. Only use the "it fits it ships" boxes.

I always allow up to 14 days. I have had boxes arrive in 4 and I have had them arrive in 12.
We send 2 large boxes, 16.85 a piece.

It is the same cost as checking a bag, but once you have had your bags lost on vacation, you are very wary of checking a bag.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Flat rate boxes from USPS are definitely the way to go.

You used to have to buy extra tracking, but now it's included with flat rate priority mail and should be on your receipt. Just make sure you save the receipt/tracking number in a secure place so you can check on it's status.
Tickerless :(
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

The problem with "if it fits it ships" is the fit of many things. I've wanted to do that, but fins will not fit in their largest box.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

BAILEYBAY

Post by BAILEYBAY »

We send a big box every trip. Inside is our big cooler for the beach and I fill it with all of our sunscreen, shampoo, snacks, etc. We save the box and ship it back home our last day. Inside is all our St John Spice stuff and any gifts we purchased for our grandkids. It costs about $48-$50 each way but is so worth it to us. No checking luggage and we don't have to lug it back and forth to the airports. In 15+ trips it has always arrived in 4 days (that was the quickest) up to 10 days. We are carry on only so this works for us! I usually ship it 14 days before our arrival and it is always there waiting on us.
Donk2001

Post by Donk2001 »

Anybody ever shipped to Virgin Gorda?
lprof

Post by lprof »

Donk2001 wrote:Anybody ever shipped to Virgin Gorda?
I have not shipped anywhere... BUT if you should happen to be staying in a Guavaberry Spring Bay property, I would ask Tina if they can receive for you. They are pretty amazing in all the services they offer.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Donk2001

Post by Donk2001 »

We are and will ask. Thanks
Bushwacker

Post by Bushwacker »

Probably a very stupid question, but where do you ship it to? The villa, or the management company?
lprof

Post by lprof »

Bushwacker wrote:Probably a very stupid question, but where do you ship it to? The villa, or the management company?
Some folks ship to Connections...
http://www.connectionsstjohn.com/mail-service.htm

Although I have not shipped a parcel there, I have used them to hold luggage for a few hours on departure day. They offer several services at reasonable costs and with a very friendly attitude! (In the same block as the park, close to the ferry dock.)

Some villa owners and management companies may also receive parcels to hold for you.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
augie

Post by augie »

Bushwacker wrote:Probably a very stupid question, but where do you ship it to? The villa, or the management company?
Check with the management company. Since physical addresses are rarely used, you would have trouble shipping directly to the villa anyway.

If the management company says they won't hold it for you...fire them! :twisted:

OK, not always an option, but you could ask them for options. They may tell you that Connections will hold them for you, and they will - for a price. Their (Connections) web site has all of the pertinent details if you plan to use them.
Come see us!
Bushwacker

Post by Bushwacker »

Good to know. I refuse to check luggage again, so this will be a good alternative for some odds and ends that I can't take in my carry-on.
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

We just shipped 2 boxes down to Connections yesterday priority mail. It cost me $60. Call connections in advance and tell them you are shipping to them. They have new rates, 1 $ per day per box. We do this a couple of times a year and the boxes get from Indiana to Connections in a week or less, usually. You need to call whichever office you want to pick the boxes up from. They have one downtown Cruz Bay and another in Coral Bay next to Crabby's. Someone from the management Company you are using will most likely pick the box up for you and have it waiting for you at your villa, although there sometimes is a small fee for this. We always send our snorkels, lotions, food items that are hard to find on the island and so forth. We then just rent fins from Crabby's while we are there. This works out great and allows us to travel carry on luggage only.
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

I forgot to mention it is important to follow the labeling instructions on Connections website exactly. This helps speed up the delivery through San Juan, so I've heard. All I know is when we follow their labeling procedures the boxes get there quickly.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Connections correction:

The Coral Bay Connections is located in the Skinny Legs complex. There is another mail service next to Crabby's. It is called Keep Me Posted.