Gilligan's Island/Professor

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

Gilligan's Island/Professor

Post by parafins »

I learned this week of the passing of Russell Johnson, Gilligan's Island's professor. There are only 2 cast members left now. For me the show was something that I looked forward to when I came home from school back in the early 1970's.It was my first experience of island life. Back then I watched as the actors tried their best to be rescued, and removed from the island . As a young lad, I cheered them on, but Gilligan messed things up. Now as a adult I wonder why you would want to be rescued? My life right now is 2 jobs, a 20 year old truck, and 3 kid's eating me out of house and, home! If I was stuck on that island, I would throw rocks at any plane that came near me! I would lay out rocks, and sticks that spelled out the words "leave me the hell alone". Here is a picture for Sandy Spit, which I think might have been the island featured in the opening credits, of that show.Image
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
nancyr84

Re: Gilligan's Island/Professor

Post by nancyr84 »

Back in the late 80's I was on a Bahamian Cruise. It went to a small island called Salt Cay, off of Nassau . They said Gilligans Island was filmed there. That island started my obsession with the sea which continues today!
ImEricka

Post by ImEricka »

I loved this post. I am also a "child of the 70's" and faithfully watched Gilligan's Island. Oh, put me on that island right now. :)
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I also grew up watching this show and used to love it. I haven't seen it in years, but I'm sure I would laugh at the goofiness of it, seeing it as an adult. One funny story about Gilligans Island. Some years ago, I was in a ladies Bible study group, and one of my friend's husband was out of work for a while. She came to the meeting one night and asked that we please pray for him to get a job soon. He had watched so many Gilligans Island reruns that he knew all the words to all the verses of the song - LOL! (Thankfully, he did get a job soon afterwards.)
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Awwww..... I totally get this! Me too. Gilligan's Island was a favorite tv show, and probably IS the reason why, when I heard someone describe Cinnamon Bay Campground, I just knew I had to go to STJ.
pandagirl

Post by pandagirl »

We love Sandy Spit too... but Gilligans Island was filmed in Kauai... went there and it was on the movie tour.. went to exact spot :) just saying
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

pandagirl wrote:We love Sandy Spit too... but Gilligans Island was filmed in Kauai... went there and it was on the movie tour.. went to exact spot just saying
Was that a "3 hour tour"? Sorry, couldn't help myself! :wink:

Loved GI - especially the fact that Thurston Howell III and "Lovie" brought enough clothes with them for a lifetime let alone a day trip!!!! :D
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

NPR reported:
"Russell Johnson, the actor whose job it was to be the voice of reason and calm on an island of shipwrecked ninnies, has died at age 89."

How would you like that as your epitaph? "The voice of reason and calm on an island of shipwrecked NINNIES." Sure, why not?
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Loved the show growing up. I remember calling home to check on my boy's who were watching the reruns and them telling me they didn't have time to talk as it looked like they were going to get off the island that day.
Tom
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Everyday after school - never missed it.

Four of us took a BVI trip with Capt John from Island Roots shortly before he fell ill and he dropped us at Sandy Cay for some chill time. We had the whole place to ourselves and made the reference to GI and how we could just stay there forever. The conversation went on to which character we each were. (I'm totally Mary Anne)