South Shore- Klein and Rendezvous Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
ImEricka

South Shore- Klein and Rendezvous Bay

Post by ImEricka »

We are first time visitors and will be staying in Monte Bay Villa on the south shore. Does anyone have any information and/or advice about this side of the island and/or this villa? It seems most of the favorite beaches are north shore, but does anyone have a favorite south shore beach? From what I have read it gets lots of sun during the day, but not much in the way of sunsets/sunrises? Sorry to put so many questions into one post, but it matches my scattered personality! :?
BillVT

Re: South Shore- Klein and Rendezvous Bay

Post by BillVT »

I would suggest that you acquire a map of STJ first, because what I am about to tell you maybe illustrated best by looking at a map.

Actually the beaches closest to you at Monte Bay may be the North Shore beaches. We have stayed at Monte Bay in 2004 when our daughter got married and it is a really nice villa. We know you will enjoy it.

The road that accesses Rendezvous and Klein Bays is on the southwestern side of the island and dead ends in Fish Bay. Many local St. Johnians dispute this limiting access to the southeastern end of the island and where most of the south shore beaches are. But it is currently a fact that, in a way, you can't there from here. You actually can, it just involves a little more driving that it would appear. Currently to get to the southeastern shore up must drive up Rt. 104 (the Gift Hill Rd) to Rt 10 (the Centerline Rd.) and out to Coral Bay and around.

On the plus side of being at Monte Bay, you are close to Cruz Bay entertainment, restaurants and shops. The view from the front porch of Monte Bay is delightful.
Last edited by BillVT on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

What Bill said for the most part with a couple additional notes. Some have said that there is decent snorkeling at Chocolate Hole. I've only tried it once on my very first trip and never found the right area, I'm sure due to my inexperience at the time. There is very limited parking and no beach and there are a lot of boats moored there. Probably not where you'd want to hang out on your first trip. Klein Bay has a very rocky beach, but it has become our "go to" for snorkeling if there are North Shore swells and we don't feel like driving to Salt Pond or Lameshure. I would say it's not a snorkel that you'd want to do, however, if you are a novice or not a strong swimmer since the best sights are along Ditliff point. There is a nice beach over there that is normally not accessible by road since the area is now gated, but you can either watch for an open gate or swim over from Klein. Seeing as how this is your first trip though I'd stick to the North Shore Beaches. It won't take that long to get to them and they are some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and shouldn't be missed! You can save the South Shore exporation for another time because if you catch the "fever" you WILL be back.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

If you do decide to go all the way around to the south shore beaches, my favorite is Salt Pond, and the easy hike over to drunk bay is worth the trip.

Monte Villa was on our short list this trip, but Calabash Boom won out due to it's proximity to Coral Bay. Hope you enjoy it!
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

Lindy wrote:What Bill said for the most part with a couple additional notes. Some have said that there is decent snorkeling at Chocolate Hole. I've only tried it once on my very first trip and never found the right area, I'm sure due to my inexperience at the time. There is very limited parking and no beach and there are a lot of boats moored there. Probably not where you'd want to hang out on your first trip.
Chocolate Hole, while challenging, has some great snorkeling. We saw octopus every time we snorkeled there, huge schools of fish, lots of juvenile barracuda (especially around the moored boats), rock fish, lobster and lots of other things. There isn't pretty coral but if you want to see some things you might not see elsewhere, it is worth a dip. As you look out from the "beach" snorkel out along the left side and then toward the middle. Use google earth as your guide - look for the dark spots in the water.
ImEricka

Post by ImEricka »

Thanks to all of you for the help. I did pull up a map :wink: and made some mind adjustments. I am a strong swimmer, but new to snorkel, so I will keep all of that in mind. My father is both and quite the adventure seeker, so perhaps he and I may work on Klein to Ditliff Point one day. I am certain that we will head to some of the popular north shore beaches as it is our first trip, but my plan is to go with as much information as I can gather and then once on island, relax and go with what the day brings. We are really looking forward to Monte, so I appreciate the positive feed back. It was a long road finding the right villa for our group of 13. :D Thanks again!
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Hope you have a blast! You can't go wrong nomatter which beach you choose, it is all beautiful.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Here are a couple photos of Monte Bay. They are from a few years ago but we really enjoyed the views and the front porch or gallery or whatever was a favorite gathering place other than the pool. Pardon the drying laundry.

toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

As a first time visitor to StJ, I would suggest that you spend as much time on the north shore, NPS beaches as possible. There is a reason that they are so popular :D Access to north shore beaches is for the most part easier, the beaches are most all white sugar fine sand and you will find more shade on north shore beaches. South shore beaches are fine but you will find them rockier and access to the water and beaches near Fish bay, Ditliff and Klien are primarily across private land.
I also suggest that you get a guide book like Gerald Singers St. John Off the Beaten Path or access his website http://www.seestjohn.com where you will find detailed descriptions and directions for beaches, snorkeling, trails and more.
As far as being a beginner snorkeler you will find that it is the easiest sport ever! Your main concern should be first for your safety and second to protect the reef and sea life that you have come to see. Don't touch the coral, soft or hard, it can cause damage that may take decades to repair.
If you encounter a windy day at the north shore you can find either a wind protected bay or head to a south shore beach. Otherwise, you can save some of the south shore beaches for when you return. Yes, you will return.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

I think it is interesting to note that Gerald Singer who wrote the guide book also owns or owned Monte Bay.
ImEricka

Post by ImEricka »

BillVT - Thank you for the pictures! That made my day. That front porch is where I expect to spend many hours. I was unaware of the Gerald Singer connection, but I have seen his book referenced here and plan to purchase it soon.

toes in the sand - thank you for the advice and the new website to search. I promise to be very thoughtful and gentle in my snorkeling. I have read a few horror stories on this forum and would not forgive myself if I was so careless.

As for returning, I have no doubt. My true fantasy is that my hardworking husband enjoys it so much that he begs to move to the island immediately! :wink: