Reading on beach

Travel discussion for St. John
snorkeler525

Re: Reading on beach

Post by snorkeler525 »

We don't normally read on the beach but based on our recent visit I would say the following were the most popular - (1) IPad and (2) Kindle. Most people who were reading on electronic devices seem to have been in some shade, even if it was only the device in the shade. We saw very few physical books.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I like to do audio books through my phone on the beach. This way I can just lay down and close my eyes. I'm lazy like that when I'm laying on the beach.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I read quite a bit and until a few years ago I'd haul several books with me to STJ...now instead I take a couple thousand on my Kindle. I am not big on technology...neither my husband or I own smart phones, I'd never buy an ipad, but I love my Kindle and can't imagine my life without it.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Can't live without my Kindle on St John (or anywhere, really). But, you can read to your heart's content on the beach with no sunglare at all.
psufan

Post by psufan »

I have an older model Nook. I love it and have no trouble reading it on the beach in low or bright light conditions. I have had it a few years now and it is starting to show its age performance-wise. I will probably replace it with a Kindle of some kind. I have no need for something other than a simple eReader. However, being able to read on the beach is an absolute must.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Paperback of a John Grisham for me...and we spend a lot of my time spent in the water...and chasing 2 kids around, not always much time to read. Plus, when you have family and friends along seems that alone time is usually first thing in the AM with a cup of coffee on the deck watching the day unfold and the bananaquits having their breakfast
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

So now it's time to select this year's vaca reading list. Any suggestions for great reads? I resurrected the old "What are you reading" thread on the Off topic forum so this can stay on topic.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

I had really liked the Patrick O'brien novels about the British navy during the Napoleonic wars and when he died after writing 19 of them, most of which I read on St. John, I wanted more. So then I devoured C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower series. For this trip I am bringing a Dudley Pope Ramage series book and the latest Dewey Lambdin Alan Lewrie book. All sailin' yarns.

I have just (re?)discovered Anthony Trollope, a contemporary of Charles Dickens, who is as sharp a commentator on Victorian England as Dickens was. It is surprisingly fun reading and gives you a good background to the events depicted in Downton Abbey.

I'm also going to start reading some George Saunders.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Kindle Paper White is the way to go. I love, love, love mine. It's back lit so you can read in any light.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Bill, my husband loves the Patrick Obrien novels too. I'm going to tell him about the C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower series because I know he hasn't read those. Looking at them they look right up his alley. Thanks!