Haulover North

Travel discussion for St. John
samoka

Haulover North

Post by samoka »

I am heading to STJ next week :D and want to make it a point to go to Haulover North. It's a place I have always wanted to snorkel but just haven't made it. When/if we do go where is the best place to get in the water?
RickG

Re: Haulover North

Post by RickG »

We f there are no waves breaking on the beach, then right where the trail hits the beach works. If it's rough then head back to Haulover South. You'll see lots of hermit crabs as you walk the trail.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
inuny

Post by inuny »

The trail is easy to find. We snorkeled Haulover North for the first time in December (finally we were there on a calm day). It was great snorkeling. You just have to go when the conditions are right. If not, Haulover south is a pleasant beach.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

samuka: The beach is pebble/cobblestone, not sandy, but that's fine, especially if you back into the water with your fins on. I left some folks there once while I went back to the car, to be told upon my return of their having been harassed by an aggressive donkey, but that was long ago, no worries. There are some nice coral heads out and a bit to the left of where the trail hits the beach. I once dove down to inspect the base of one, and had trouble recognizing something I saw there, in an undercut where the coral head met the sandy bottom. I began to realize that I was seeing the tail end of a decent sized shark that was resting there. With a photo op in mind, I surfaced, and headed back to the car where I had left (natch) my underwater camera. As luck would have it, the shark must have woken up and proceeded on its way; it wasn't there when I returned. Enjoy the snorkel, but be careful if the conditions are rough.

All the best,

Kevin
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

RickG wrote:We f there are no waves breaking on the beach, then right where the trail hits the beach works. If it's rough then head back to Haulover South. You'll see lots of hermit crabs as you walk the trail.

Cheers, RickG
I love the north side but if it's too rough I would venture down to Hansen Bay, it isn't far from Haulover.