Yay! Upcoming trip and some questions

Travel discussion for St. John
AquaGirl

Yay! Upcoming trip and some questions

Post by AquaGirl »

We are eagerly anticipating, talking about and planning our upcoming trip to St John. Our last trip was in 2014. A few questions:

- Is there food available at the Red Hook ferry terminal? I seem to recall when we were there last time, there was a place to get drinks, but I don't remember food. Our flight lands at 12:30, so we will likely be on the 2pm ferry. We will be hungry by that point, so wondering if food is available and if anyone has eaten there?

- I've seen very few mentions of Banana Deck in trip reports. We had a nice meal there about 5 years ago and wondered if anyone has eaten there recently? At the time, the prices were a bit more reasonable than other places.

- I saw mention of a new restaurant in Coral Bay in the former Donkey Diner location. Has anyone tried it?

- In past years, we enjoyed going to Hansen Bay and snorkeling that area and out to Pelican Rock. I read that this beach area is blocked off to the public now. Has anyone snorkeled out there from Miss Vie's beach?

Thanks everyone!
54b

Re: Yay! Upcoming trip and some questions

Post by 54b »

It's been about 15 months since my last visit, but headed back this June and have been doing similar research and here's some insights I've picked up:

1) Heard news that the bar in Red Hook has been upgraded a bit, but I think it's still very much a bar and food options are limited. There are some places like Duffy's Love Shack and Fishtails near Red Hook if you're really hungry or of course there are tons of good places right off the ferry when you get to Cruz Bay. So I'd encourage you to eat within walking distance or Red Hook or wait until Cruz Bay. If you have a villa host, you could tell them you want to eat when you get off the ferry and you can meet them say an hour after you get to Cruz Bay.

2) Haven't read anything bad about Banana Deck and heard the owner is the one that bought and re-opened Deli Grotto, now called North Shore Deli. Banana Deck has often been a favorite first night dinner for many and a good place when you're in the mood for a good, reasonably priced steak. I think the reason you haven't read more is probably because it's been overshadowed by all the new places that have opened up in Cruz Bay in the past year and the new kids are getting all the attention: Cruz Bay Landing (was JJ's), Dog House Pub (was Castaways), Extra Virgin Bistro (was Fatty Crab), etc.

3) Indigo Grill is the new restaurant in place of Donkey Diner...lot of good reviews thus far...sounds like fresh fish is their specialty: https://www.facebook.com/indigogrillstjohn/

4) News out of Hansen Bay is that Vie is no longer frying. But her snack shack is still open and you can still pay (I think $2.50) for access to the beach...also heard of people driving a little further down the road and accessing the beach that way (I don't think it's blocked). I have snorkeled to Pelican Rock from Vie's Beach, wasn't a bad swim.

More of the latest from this thread...

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=28240

Hope that helps
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

AG: Hi, and we hope you are both doing well! We just arrived at Coconuts this evening, and are so thrilled to be back. I wrote a VIOL post a few years ago with what is still a pretty accurate run-down of the options that Red Hook offers when you miss the ferry, or have an otherwise extended wait. There are two food kiosks on the right within the terminal, but your options expand a lot if you are willing to leave the terminal. I was actually looking forward to the half-price oysters at Fish Tails this afternoon, but we managed to get on the 4 PM ferry with a few minutes to spare, and so "settled" for a Big G at Joe's Rum Hut, on the other side of Pillsbury Sound. Anyhow, my original post is here:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=26384

All the best,

Kevin
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

AAAAHHHHH that BIG G is to die for!!! Our first night dinner for both my wife and I when we arrived this past Dec. 6th. (we tried our first Big G's the year before and couldn't stop thinking about it). Plus you can't beat the $3 your call from 4:00-6:00pm
Enjoy your time back on island
Image[/url]
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

For something quick, I really LIKE the pates at the furthest place inside the Red Hook ferry terminal. If you stand in the bar area, with the bar on your left, you'll see two little areas to your right, with food. I like the pates from the place that is furthest from the ferry waiting area.
I had the pleasure of dinner with Papabou and his family, last October, at Banana Deck. I like the place, and don't think it's changed much.
54B is right about Vie not frying anymore, but that her hut is open and serving hot dogs, rice and beans with meat sauce, and pinapple and coconut tarts. If you pass Vie's and go just over the hill, there is a gated sandy parking lot. In February, there was still a sign up that said "Private Property." However, there has been variable beach access here for awhile now. It's a nice little beach, but has little shade. At first, we were told not to park there, then another trip, we were told by the people on-site that SURE! We could park there! Have a great day!, and just recently I read that they were charging a fee to park in the lot. So this one seems to be constantly changing. It is a nice beach. The floating bar has been here quite a bit. There's one more beach beyond this one, and there are lots of no trespassing signs on that beach.
Hope that helps....
Happy vacation!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Oh, one more thing! Indigo Grill is getting lots of great reviews. Personally, I found the food to be unenjoyably spicy in a hot way. I find that a lot of things I used to enjoy are too spicy for me these days, though, so YMMV!
RickG

Post by RickG »

We grab to-go sandwiches and beers at Moe's in Red Hook, formerly Marina Market. Taco Hell and Tap & Still are other options with a short walk.

Banana Deck is still on our regular rotation. We've been there during four trips in the last year. Its solid and can handle groups larger than 8.

Indigo Grill is closed on Tuesdays (?) and the last two nights we were in Coral Bay were Tuesdays... but friends have liked it.

Hansen Bay is one of our favorite anchorages. We routinely meet land-based friends there. You can park at the campground (ignore the No Trespassing) and Pelican Rock is nearby. That is a good bit closer then Vie's Beach on Hansen.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thanks for all the great info. Glad to hear there is food at the RH ferry terminal and close by. We love pates, so we'll probably hit that place - thanks Minde! We'll have to see how much time we have - flight lands at 12:30pm - nice!

We usually take the ferry, pick up the car and go to Starfish before heading up to the villa. We like to stay at the villa once there, rather than going back out to a restaurant after our long travel day. The timing on this doesn't work out the best because we end up wandering through Starfish starving and in a daze. :roll: If we have time to eat a little something at Red Hook, it will work out better. We may get carryout from De Coal Pot if they are open on Sunday. They've raised their prices since we were there in 2014 :shock:

I realized after reading the responses about Hansen that Miss Vie's in on Hansen Bay as well as the beach we visited. I was thinking about the small beach further down the road, which is closer to Pelican Rock. It has a big beautiful tree next to the road (maybe a tamarind, but not sure), but no shade other than that big tree. I think that's the one that may be blocked off now. We'll see how it is when we get there and go exploring.

Wind chills in the 20s today in the Washington, D.C. area, so we're enjoying our trip planning even more!