RobnCindi's Trip Report - Part One

Travel discussion for St. John
robncindi

Post by robncindi »

Hey Everyone -- thanks for your great comments! Sorry I am so delayed in responding and also for posting Part 2 TR, however....I ended up coming down last Friday with a terrible cold! After 16 days in STJ Paradise ... and then 4 days back holed up in the gray, drabbiness of my cubicle at work, my body was like "what the heck!" and totally rebelled on me. However, after a weekend of sleeping it off - I'm feeling better and Trip Report - Part Two is currently in the works!

PA GIRL - To answer your question about how we ended up on seperate flights? Well, in order to spend 2 weeks on STJ, $$ wise we really needed to utilize Frequent Flyer Miles to get there in the first place! Rob's work travels had earned him enough FF miles on Continental for a free ticket. However, Continental does not fly into STT...you have to go to Puerto Rico and then take a 'hopper' to STT. We really did not want to travel through Puerto Rico this trip (did that last time), so we began researching other options. We found out that Delta, who flies directly into STT was a "Partner" of Continental. So, after reading both CA and Delta websites, we thought we would be able to use Rob's Continental FF miles on a Delta flight. So, I transferred American Express reward points to Delta and booked one flight on Delta. Rob then started working on transferring his Continental miles to Delta in order to book himself on the same flight. Well, ooops...turns out you CAN'T use Continental miles to book Delta flights (you only can earn miles when flying on each airline). So, here we are with one flight booked through Delta and to buy the other flight with Delta, at that time, was up to about $1000 (the most expensive of all airlines at the time). We waited and watched prices every day for several weeks...to see if the Delta costs would come down, but they never did--they just kept creeping up! I started getting freaked out on a daily basis at this point. A deal came about one day on US Air for a flight for about $500 round trip, same day as my Delta, leaving Houston shortly after me and arriving in STT only about an hour later than me. We figured at that point - what the heck - does it matter we don't fly together, as long as we end up there together?! So, that is the story there. It ended up being fine...and it was kind of special and fun arriving in STT first and hanging out at the STT Airport bar, anticipating his arrival! :)

JAN (AKA CHARLIE) - Awww...shucks! You are too sweet! I've always thought having my kids at a young age (started at 20!) helped keep me young! But, shoot...I'll tell you - I feel like the stress of these last couple of years has really aged me! (You were looking at pics from 2004 STJ trip!) Thank God for STJ to help in the Rejuvenation process!

ROB7 -- Come on now...you are Rob are like 2 peas in a pod. How about just throwing caution to the wind and you and Rob start up a Seaplane business in the VI's??!! Ahhh....just think of it ...working and living in Paradise!! (Would it really be work??!!) :lol:
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Glad part II is coming- you guys are awesome! :)
Rob7

Post by Rob7 »

robncindi wrote:Hey Everyone --

ROB7 -- Come on now...you and Rob are like 2 peas in a pod. How about just throwing caution to the wind and you and Rob start up a Seaplane business in the VI's??!! Ahhh....just think of it ...working and living in Paradise!! (Would it really be work??!!) :lol:
Cindi, first off...and most important, I hope you are feeling much better. That is no fun ... I am sending you well wishes....and the Seaplane business sounds awesome.

Second.....our minds must be running in the same direction....was just looking at the boxed set of the
TV Show "Wings" (which was based on the actual story
of Cape Air in the Cape area, and St Thomas area.)
Between the three of us....we can do the "Brian" "Joe" and "Helen" thing. We will need an FAA certified maintenance guy to do the "Lowell Mather" part. As you know, the "STJ" FAA designation for St John goes back to days when the Seaplane Base was in operation.
After reading about us on the forum, do you think people will trust us to fly them :lol:
Last edited by Rob7 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
robncindi

Post by robncindi »

Hey Rob, it's Rob...

Wings is one of my all time favorites shows, I didn't know it was out on DVD but I'll be buying that soon!

I was a crew chief in a previous life and my best friend is an A&P for the past 25 years, so we might have that covered, plus I could probably fix any plane with a hammer and safety wire...seaplanes don't have to be safe right? you can land them anywhere there is water :wink:

I'm not sure with my drugs and booze comment in another thread yesterday anyone will trust flying with me again...I just hope the FAA doesn't monitor my comments here, I'd like to avoid the ramp check! :lol:

It is a nice dream starting that on STJ, but I'm not sure all of us can live in the back of a Jeep wrangler and I am pretty sure with land cost on STJ being what they are that is all I could afford on a pilots salary!

R
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Great start! I can't wait to hear the rest!
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Great first installment! Villa on the water - nice! Looking forward to more...

As a former Air Force wife (hubby was in for 13 years), please thank your son for his service and wish him Godspeed.