I have a completely unpopular question

Travel discussion for St. John
HawkeyeChick

I have a completely unpopular question

Post by HawkeyeChick »

When we booked our trip to STJ it was because we really needed a week to recover and relax (I had finished cancer treatments the week before we booked). STJ seemed like the perfect place to be away from crowds, phones, TVs and just relax in the perfect blue water.

Since then I've been reading more and more about all the snorkeling. I'm one of those "I'd prefer to think of the ocean as a nice big swimming pool" kind of people, which I realize doesn't go over well here. LOL! :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing the coral and smaller fish. However, I think I might panic if I see a nurse shark, or a 5 foot long baraccuda (sp?), or a big ray around my feet.

So my questions is this: If I get in the water at, say, Waterlemon, and realize it freaks me out, where do I go? Are there good beaches without much in the way of sea life for the first 4-5 feet of water?

I've heard Trunk Bay, Oppenheimer Beach, Gibney Beach, Honeymoon are some options???
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Try Cinnamin, Francis and Hawksnest. Just stay in the middle, all of the good snorkeling is either to the left or right, around the rocks.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Laura T

Post by Laura T »

I would add Trunk to the list of beaches that you can swim without hitting sea life right away (of course, unless you go early, you won't be able to swim far without hitting a person!)
polly

Post by polly »

Din't worry- there are many lovely beaches to just sit and relax. My favorite is Honeymoon/Solomon. A bit of a walk to get there but the sand is wonderful and the water lovely. You can easily float along just inches from the beach, enjoy the peace and quiet and truly recoup. I too am a cancer survivor and this is the place I return to time and again. The walk may be a bit challenging (it isn';t hard, but if you had chemo you may still be a bit pooped!) but the rewards are worth it. Trunk Bay may be another good option. But, don't count out the snorkelling yet. It is so wonderful and peaceful. It was my very best therapy!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

maho is and other one actuly most of the sand beaches if you stay in the sand you won't see much it is only when you get by the rocks and coral that there is alot
djmom

Post by djmom »

Add Maho to the list. It is also relaly easy to drive up and pretty much be at the beach if you are tired.

I would avoid Salt Pond-lots and lots of fish-and the walk can be brutal on the way back.

Pretty much the rule of thumb is "sandy" water-less fish. Reefs-more fish.

Enjoy your trip and don't worry!
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

When will you be there? If it's the same week as me, be sure to stay away from me because I'm convinced I'm going to see some creature that wants to do me bodily harm. :lol: But I will somehow get up the courage to go out and see what I can find. (mimosas, painkillers, bushwackers, lime n coconuts should be enough encouragement)
Buddles

Post by Buddles »

I'm going to give you another choice. Spend the day at Vie's beach! It is very out of the way and quiet and has shade, beach chairs, and amazing food. There is great snorkeling way out on the right if that is what you want. Spend some time talking with Vie - she is an amazing lady.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
djmom

Post by djmom »

Buddles-
Where is Vies beach? Is it named after a restaurant?(We have been to St. John a bunch and I haven't heard about it)

Is Vie local and what kind of food?

Sorry if people have talked about it before, I have been off the board a long time.

Susan
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hi Hawkeyechick--I believe you're staying at Caneel---and it has several perfect beaches for doing just what you describe. If I were you, I'd just plop myself down on Scott, Turtle Bay or Caneel beaches and enjoy.
---Jim
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

You've recieved some great suggestions but I'm going to point out that at any beach and at any given time, you may or may not run into something that frightens you. Last trip a Ray glided right over my feet as I stepped into Trunk Bay in two feet of water. I would of suggested middle of Maho as well. This is where a four foot Cuda swam right up to me. This was also in about 4 feet of water right in the center of the bay. You'll do fine, just swim CALMLY away if you find something frightening.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Hey Hawkeye Chick -

First of all - CONGRATULATIONS! I'm sure being done with your cancer treatments is a big relief and I wish you a wonderful, relaxing vacation. We hope to meet you on Sunday.

I agree with the above posters in terms of where to go. I particularly like Francis Bay, Hawksnest, and Maho. All are sandy, have great entry into the water and you won't see much near the shoreline area. If you do brave it out, you can snorkel at Hawksnest pretty close to the beach and I've been lucky to see squid there. I have not seen any thing scary there at all - a small stingray, but they just rest on the sandy bottom or swim away.

Enjoy and have safe travels!

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

If you are staying at Caneel, there are full length floaties at the beaches. You could just hop up on one of those and then anything in the water will glide underneath you! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Buddles

Post by Buddles »

Vie's beach is two hills east of Haulover Beach (as the sign says) on the eastern end of the island. You need four wheel drive out there). She makes the best garlic fried chicken in the biggest cast iron frypan I have ever seen. Her conch fritters are pretty good, too!