Surfing STT& STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
kulbrezn

Surfing STT& STJ

Post by kulbrezn »

This is my first trip to VI, have heard the waves get good on the Northside. I'm coming down in Jan. Any info would be appreciated.
Also moving frpm isl to isl,Can you and how get a rental car across. Thinking about staying about 5 days on STJ then about 9 days on STT.

Thanks
Adrienne

Post by Adrienne »

Welcome to the forum Kulbrezn!! Don't know too much about surfing in the VI - haven't heard to much about it and really not sure where there would be surfing unless you were towed out or dropped out. I do know that there are decent places to surf in Tortola (BVI) however. In fact they hold a surfing camp there every year and I believe the Malibu Longboard Competition I believe put on by HIHO (the wedding planner I used last year told me that her children surf in these competitions) - supposedly off of Cane Garden Bay...when I was there however, it was as calm as could be. Check out: http://magicseaweed.com/Cane-Garden-Bay ... eport/480/

As for getting vehicles between STT and STJ - No worries mon - there is a car ferry that runs out of Red Hook - I personally have never used it, however, there are plenty of good peeps here that will, I am sure, be glad to give you some info.

Good luck and have fun!
Adrienne

Post by Adrienne »

Oops - meant to put this site in for you too: www.go-hiho.com
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

The only place I ever have seen anyone surfing on STJ is off of Cocoloba Point, at the mouth of Fish Bay. But, even that looked pretty weak.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
RogerD

Post by RogerD »

I haven't seen the waves yet needed to surf in St.John
or any where in the USVI.Thats what makes it an awesome snorkling spot.
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

Supposedly Hull Bay (STT) on the north shore has decent waves for surfing. I've never been there so I can't say for sure. It's west of Magens Bay.
RickG

Post by RickG »

January? You'd have better luck with October or November when North swells come in. Little Apple Bay on Tortola has a good surfing scene. We've stayed at Sebastians right there and a lot of the people staying there were surfers.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We saw them surfing at Reef Bay this past June.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

I've seen a few surfers at Reef Bay in Jan 2001. The surf wasn't much to speak of though.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Doubtful that any beach in STJ would have a decent break, unless a tropical system in nearby. Shoreline on STJ drops off quickly.

On some of Tortola's north shore beachs (eg. Long & Apple Bays), the dropoff if more gradual. We brought boogie boards with us the last time we were in Tortola, and put them to good use on Long Bay. Surfers frequent the area around Bomba's.

Don't know about STT.
MLS

Post by MLS »

The northerly swells during the winter create bigger waves on the north side than the south.

You need a boat, but people surf the break off both sides of Johnson Reef (a mile or two north of Trunk Bay) during rough seas.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

In more than a decade of travel to STT an d STJ I have to admit I have never seen a surf board.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Bug

Post by Bug »

On our last trip, we picked up a kid that was working at Maho and gave him a ride to town. He told us that he and his friends surf Johnson's Reef whenever it's breaking :shock:

XOXO
Bug
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Hey bugblu!! We have the same ticker! I just added it and thought I was being original, must have had yours in my head when I picked it --unknowingly!!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

People do surf on STJ but is not an every day thing. You may go weeks and weeks with no break. It is not a surfing destination.