Glass on the beach

Travel discussion for St. John
toes in the sand

Glass on the beach

Post by toes in the sand »

Are bottles or glass allowed on the National Park Beaches on St. John?
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

No
Tom
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Although some folks may envision a romantic wedding or vows renewal complete with champagne on the beach in St. John, it is a very bad idea to bring any glass to any beach regardless of rules or laws. Please don't do it.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

As someone who got a seriously sliced toe at Maho, please don't bring glass. They even make plastic champagne flutes.
RickG

Post by RickG »

$100 fine for glass bottles on National Park Beaches. Nudity is a $50 fine. I like letting the free market help you make lifestyle choices.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

You would think nudity should be encouraged, it would make people think 3x about bringing glass to the beaches.

Cat
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Thanks for the quick responses. I thought I had read that it was not allowed but a question was raised because of a picture I saw posted and I was unable to find where I had read where glass is not allowed.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I saw tons of people with glass bottles last week. I figured it was against the rules because I've been to plenty of park beaches, but I never saw a sign and everybody was drinking out of glass. I definitely didn't realize there was a $100 fine. Ouch.
parafins

glass on the beach...

Post by parafins »

Visit Frank Beach in town.It's a fine example why glass shouldn't be allowed on a beach.I walked this beach back in July and found shards of glass all over that beach.No it wasn't sea glass, it was beer bottles. :cry: Parafins.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
MrB

Post by MrB »

Please don't take this the wrong way, i'm not trying to be a smart ass, but, where do you think sea glass comes from?

Irregardless of the container, let's help keep the beaches clean. We always try to take as many other containers out as we bring. So, for each 4 cans or water bottles we take to the beach, take another 4 orphans with you that are already there!! It adds up!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Our drink of choice for the week was VI Summer Ale and I don't think it comes in anything but bottles. We just stayed near our cooler when we drank, kept the bottles in koozies and kept our trash all together when we left. If I'd made a mess, I'd have cleaned it up as best I could've.

One of the girls in our group did step on a piece of glass in the water at Ivan's but it was worn down from the sea and didn't even hurt her.
parafins

sea glass

Post by parafins »

MrB wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way, i'm not trying to be a smart ass, but, where do you think sea glass comes from?

Irregardless of the container, let's help keep the beaches clean. We always try to take as many other containers out as we bring. So, for each 4 cans or water bottles we take to the beach, take another 4 orphans with you that are already there!! It adds up!
Mr.B,No I don't think your a smart a##.Smarts come from our heads not from our bottoms....so bottoms up!{just not with glass containers! :D }P.S.I know sea glass comes from broken bottles.Frank Beach may have that,but there seems to be a lot of sharp shards of glass as well.Parafins :D
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

We were big VI Summer Ale fans and actually all of the beer we wanted to drink only came in bottles. We kept our coolers in the car at Maho and Francis and took turns going for beer runs to fill up our plastic cups. The teen in our group did take a beer bottle and filled it with sand for his gf. He sat it on our blanket by the cooler and none of us really thought about it (probably due to the many beer runs) and a park ranger patrolling the beach asked that we please take it to our car. Glad we didn't get slapped with the fine!
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

We have been to StJ 3 times and I never knew you were not allowed to have bottles at the beaches. We always did. I always carry out everything I bring including the bottle caps. I also have never seen a ranger while there.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Here's a site where you can learn about the rules and regulations in the VINP::

http://www.nps.gov/archive/viis/rules.htm