Contant Point

Travel discussion for St. John
nothintolose

Contant Point

Post by nothintolose »

I was wondering about the breezes in June or summer on Contant Point. Thinking of staying there but have never stayed "that low" before.

Breezes were good at Ristaba, on Gifft Hill and in Catherineburg which seemed to keep the bugs down and enabled me to spend most of my time on the deck in the mornings and evenings without being hot.

Any input would be appreciated.

Also, how do you get to Contant Point? I was told that you turn left by the basketball courts and dumpster but am drawing a blank on where they both are. The only dumpster I remember in that area is the one just below Jacob's Ladder on the other side of the street from the Westin.

Thanks in advance,
nothintolose
Knolmom

Contant Point

Post by Knolmom »

We were up in that area last summer for the first time ever owing to a "mash up" and paint spill on the South Shore Road. We were coming back to Rendevous Bay from town. We were directed by the police to make a right turn at the dumpster by the basketball court, then another right at the end of that alley and climb a steep hill. When we got to the top the road turned left and we drove all along Contant Point, with beautiful views much the same as from Maria Bluff and nice breezes across Pillsbury sound. The views from the road seemed more elevated than those from Maria Bluff. They are in-your-face blue water views, not distant or as panoramic as Rockridge or Gift Hill. I believe Argonauta Villa is up there.
I do not think the area is as large as Maria Bluff, as the road turned inland with views of the Westin and its beach, and the houses on Great Cruz Bay Road, but disappeared pretty quickly, for me, at leat, as I was behind a garbage truct trying to navigate bye one of those large Westin taxi's being detoured the other way while cars were parked all along the road.
It seemed like a nice area along the actual ocean-facing road, but I dont think it would be as scenic or breezy if you had a spot facing southeast to Great Cruz Bay. Very convenient to Starfish, the Westin and Cruz Bay. Guess it depends on the villa and which way it faces.
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

The dumpster is just past the longish lefthand bend on eastbound Southshore. Turn right b/w the dumpster & the basketball courts (which are opposite the gas station).

Alternately, you can make a right on the top of Jacobs Ladder.

If you can, checkout Google Earth, which now has much better resolution for the VIs than it did in the past.
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle-age crisis."
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

the road to Hell ...

Just checked GE, and saw that the latest sat photo has a big cloud over the area I was describing.

Oh well. Just turn right after the dumpster on the right.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Thanks JohnM - someone had said turn left at the basketball courts which didn't make sense to me.

Do you think the breezes in villas that face out are comparable to those up higher that are farther back like Gifft Hill?
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

We stayed in Argonauta summer before last and the view was amazing, but I was gald to have ac. The power was out one morning after a thunderstorm and we were pretty hot until it came back on. I think being up highter gives you much better breezes and I'm looking at Gifft Hill for my next summer trip. Is there any reason you wouldn't stay in that area again??
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Love the views from Gifft Hill but we ate out every night and it was kind of a pain going back home afterwards. If we ate at the villa more it wouldn't be as much of an issue. This crowd is gonna want to eat out all the time.

My other problem with Gifft Hill is that we tended to take Centerline to all of the beaches and elsewhere and I missed doing the North Shore drive and those gorgeous views.

Other than that, Gifft Hill was great. The views were awesome and the breezes were nice. The pool was cold though - had to dive in fast to get in or I wouldn't get in.

The other problem is that most of the villas we have found on Gifft Hill are too small for our crowd - except Skyway which was right next to Seawatch where we stayed this past summer. It looks awesome.
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

We stayed at Morgan's Point villa several years ago, which is on the western side of Maria Bluff. Even though we had A/C available in the bedrooms, we never used it, as there was good exposure to the trade winds.

I would think that this would also be the case for a villa on Contant Point, especially if the villa is on a higher elevation.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

We stayed at WaterKlip 3 Aprils ago and the afternoon sun made it sweltering. Would have melted without AC.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

The villa I was thinking about was Argonauta.

We are usually at the villa in the morning then again in the evening with maybe a brief drop by in the middle of the day. So basically, I just want to be able to sit outside in the mornings and evenings without dying of heat.

Keep in mind I am in New Orleans, so when we go to STJ during the summer, we are actually going to cooler weather :)

Keep the answers flowing to help me make my decision.

nothintolose
MIG

Post by MIG »

If it is too hot in the sun, Argonauta has a nice covered porch on the 2nd floor with several ceiling fans. Very pleasant. [/img]
RickG

Post by RickG »

Well, we'll be at Eaglesnest a week from tomorrow on the Southwest side of this point. I'll certainly report on breezes. We don't have a/c in the main room (I prefer not to) and we'll have some VERY hot afternoons facing West if there are no breezes.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Thanks Rick!!!

And thanks everyone else for all of your help. Still open to more comments :)
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hi Nothintolose-- For whatever its worth, I think Contant Point would be a perfect location for your group-- Gorgeous water views, incredible sunsets, close to town. We eat out every night too (we love to cook at home, but like to go out on vacation), and when we stayed on Gifft Hill, I got a little tired of the drive (plus, if you take Centerline its not very scenic). And I prefer the view from Contant Point anyway---its a closer water view (I know others prefer the higher but more distant, panoramic view). Can't comment on the breeze---I know I'd want to use the A/C in summer.
---Jim
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Thanks Iowaguy - have you stayed on Contant Point before?