Jost Van Dyke day trip

Travel discussion for St. John
Atlanta CRNA

Jost Van Dyke day trip

Post by Atlanta CRNA »

Hi, everyone,

I want to thank you all for how informative this forum is. I have planned a trip for February using many of the tips I have learned here. (My fiance' cannot understand how I know so much about St. John!! We have only been there once, briefly, on a day trip from St. Thomas.)

Anyway, I have posted a few questions in the past, but mostly spend my time lurking. Even so, I feel like I know who many of you are. Especially since I saw the video of the forumite gathering on the on-stjohn website. I loved it.

My question today is what is the most economical way to get 14 people to Jost Van Dyke for a day trip? Is there a ferry that runs there routinely? I was a little confused when I tried to figure it out from the online ferry schedule.

Thank you,

Angie
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

There is a ferry. I know that it runs on the weekend. I'm not sure of the exact schedule. Hopefully someone else can offer more information.
Image[/url]
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Here it is:

St. Thomas/St. John to Jost Van Dyke:
Between Red Hook, Cruz Bay and Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke.
Round Trip $40. -- 45 minutes. Inter Island (776-6597), Friday, Saturday and Sunday only. Reserve

Leaving Red Hook
8:00 am, 2:00 pm
Leaving Cruz Bay:
8:30 am, 2:20 pm
Leaving Jost Van Dyke:
9:15 am 3:00 pm
Image[/url]
Atlanta CRNA

Post by Atlanta CRNA »

Thank you, Thank you! That is perfect.
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

You want to spend on all on Jost or do you want to spend some time on the water too?
With 14 people you could just rent a boat with a capt and it would probably be just as much as 45.00 a head.
The capt could take you out early to snorkel and such at the Indians and then head over to Jost and you can spend time at Foxy's and then head to White Bay,.
You would have more time, since the last ferry leaves at 3p

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Verve

Post by Verve »

With 14 people you'd need more than one boat.

Try Dolphin Shuttle at www.dolphinshuttle.com

Their boats are bigger, they do regular runs to Jost, and are used to large groups. Worth calling/e-mailing for a quote.

They're based right on St. John.
daffy2

Post by daffy2 »

We did the Dolphin Shuttle last week and I would definitely give them a thumbs up. They can get you over there mid week and you can beat the weekend crowds at Jost. We had a great time with them. :D

daffy
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

The ferry (Fri Sat Sun) only is the most economical, but the shuttle looks more flexible time-wise. With a group as large as yours, I would probably opt for the private shuttle.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

If you take the ferry, you should consider your time on JVD. Remember that you must clear customs at both ends of your trip. One in the BVI and then again when returning to StJ. I had considered the ferry for a trip to Virgin Gorda and realized that we would spend more time on the ferry or clearing customs than we would be able to spend on the island. JVD is much closer than VG so it might work out for you. Also I think I read that customs on StJ closes relatively early. 5pm maybe?
Just some things to consider while planning.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Regardless of how you go back and forth, you should be going through customs. I've only taken the ferry, so I'm not sure how it's handled on other vessels, but it wasn't a particularly long amount of time to clear customs either way.

Our only real issue on the ferry was that it left STJ late on Friday morning. Of course, we still had to come back by 3. However, I enjoyed the time that I was there and had I really wanted to stay longer and if Ivan had room, I'd have just come back on the 9 a.m. ferry the next day, because you do have flexibility in planning your return.

But for what you'd pay for the ferry for 14 people, you may be able to find a private boat of some sort that can accommodate you without too significant of a cost increase.
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

I saw 'verve' mention it would take 2 boats to get 14 of you over. I thought something like Low Keys takes that many people?
I may be wrong. If you take the ferry, Lulu is right you may want to stay the night at Ivans so that you can have a longer time.
You will get there about 10ish and have to be leaving about 3ish.
It depends on how many 'pain killers' you have if you even want to leave and also just the sheer beauty of White Bay. It was not voted one of the most beautiful beaches for nothing.
Good Luck and Enjoy.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know