Caribbean Music Suggestions?

Travel discussion for St. John
sherban

Caribbean Music Suggestions?

Post by sherban »

Hi- Can anyone suggest a good CD of Caribbean music? I'm looking for a reccomendation for something that has a real "island feel with good rythm".

We're headed down to STJ in June and I'm looking for some good island tunes to take along.

I have loads and loads of Rock, Blues, and Jazz...as well as a couple Reggae CDs but haven't found agreat Caribbean or "Island" CD yet...any suggestions?

Thanks!
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

Inner Visions - local band, great music. I heard about them on this forum and bought their album on iTunes.
http://home.innervisionsreggae.com/
TNgirl

Post by TNgirl »

HI, I'm new here. I just wanted to tell you that Kenny Chesney has a great album of caribbean music it's call Be As You Are, it makes me want to pick up and move there. Try it you'll love it..
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

We are big fans of anything "Putumayo" offers. I have more CD's than I can list but you can find real authentic island music performed by island artists in many different genres. We have a French Caribbean we are quite fond of as well as
Caribbean PArty
Caribe! Caribe!
Islands
!Baila! A Latin Dance PArty
Samba Bossa Nova
just to name a few....

I even got some good Christmas music from Putumayo.

They have their own website, but if you look at Amazon's site you can take a listen to most songs on each CD to get a feel for whether you like the sound. Enjoy!
Lex

Post by Lex »

I second the recommendation for Inner Visions. It's always a good thing to support the local musicians. There's nothing more STJ than Inner Visions. Listening to their cds is the next best thing to hearing them live on STJ. They're on the island for part of the year and lately have been touring the US and Europe part of the year.

Another good local guy is Quito Rymer from Tortola:

http://www.quitorymer.com/
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I picked up Victor Provost's "Smooth Steel" while on STJ in Mongoose, and it is steel drum music. I like it alot. Here is his website: http://www.victorpanman.com/

I also like Inner Visions and Toots and the Maytels.

For another recommendation, check out The Radiators or Eric Lindell :)

nothintolose
sherban

thanks for the ideas

Post by sherban »

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I appreciate the ideas...ya'll are very helpful and I apprecite it. I'll definately try a few of these and have a mix put together before summer...
Cheers!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Carolyn wrote:We are big fans of anything "Putumayo" offers. I have more CD's than I can list but you can find real authentic island music performed by island artists in many different genres. We have a French Caribbean we are quite fond of as well as
Caribbean PArty
Caribe! Caribe!
Islands
!Baila! A Latin Dance PArty
Samba Bossa Nova
just to name a few....

I even got some good Christmas music from Putumayo.

They have their own website, but if you look at Amazon's site you can take a listen to most songs on each CD to get a feel for whether you like the sound. Enjoy!
I second this. I gave John the Carribean party CD in a box of island stuff for Christmas. There is this one song on it called "Pump me Up" by Krosfyah that is just so addictive. Everytime it comes on we start dancing around the house! I want to check out other music by them but my itunes is shot right now. :x

And definitely Inner Visions.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
sherban

which IV CD?

Post by sherban »

Ok great,...just one more question (yeah right, that's my detective Columbo impression).

Out of these two which Innervisions CD would you reccomend?--
Steet Corner Musicians, Spiritual Dancer?
Thanks again...
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

I have Frontline and it's very good. The song Everlasting Love is my favorite!
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

K.Chesney and of course Jimmy B.
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

My fav is Jam Band. 8)

Search their videos on You Tube to get some good Carnival videos - and test your computer speakers by turning it all the way up!

An oldie but goodie! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4-q77ylkxQ
Bluwater
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

I agree with Bluwater. Jamband, you just can't stand still, the music they play goes right to your bones.
Here's one of my favorites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqXO7n2w7sg
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

You know that music they play during the jeep cam videos? I love that tune and would love to be able to put it on the ipod. Anyone know where to find it?
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

Love that one Sedi. Thanks!

RIP Nick Friday! How can JamBand recover from such a loss? One can only hope they will. I stood along the roadside at STJ Festival 2007 and knew something was missing. BunnyTrain was good...but...
Bluwater