Crime Level

Travel discussion for St. John
RastaBabe

Crime Level

Post by RastaBabe »

Okay I have a question for everyone. I have been reading more lately about the crime getting worse on the rock lately, recently read on another site where they were talking about construction and how it is "ruining the rock and it's beauty". But more and more people were saying it was the increasing crime that might change their minds about going back to the rock? What is the crime level like there?
I would love to spend the rest of my life in shorts, flip flops and with a drink my hand on a nice beach!
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

have never had a problem...
Pia

Post by Pia »

No problem here :)

Pia
dejavu

Never felt unsafe

Post by dejavu »

We just returned and never felt unsafe anywhere at anytime-
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Are you talking about STT or STJ when you refer to "the rock"? You make it sound like Alcatraz...
RastaBabe

Post by RastaBabe »

LOL Sorry I'm referring to STJ
I would love to spend the rest of my life in shorts, flip flops and with a drink my hand on a nice beach!
bj

Post by bj »

Locals have an affectionate nickname for the two islands. "The rock" refers to St. Thomas and "Love City" for St. John. There are local papers on line that have articles on crime in the islands.
Peace,
bj
Lex

Post by Lex »

STJ is a very safe place, which is not to say it's crime free. Crime has increased since we first went there and there's definitely been an increase in major crime. It used to be said that most crime on STJ was crime of opportunity. That's probably still true, but there's a lot more crime of intent now. And there are more guns.

We still feel very safe on STJ, but we do stay aware and take normal safety precautions. We went to Virgin Gorda last year rather than return to STJ, but that decision was unrelated to safety/crime concerns.
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

I've traveled to a number of islands, and found STJ to be very safe. But, I also believe it's all in how you conduct yourself, too. Someone that stumbles around drunk at 2am on dark, remote streets could be a target nearly anywhere on the planet. A little smarts and common sense will carry you anywhere. :wink:
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ondine wrote:I've traveled to a number of islands, and found STJ to be very safe. But, I also believe it's all in how you conduct yourself, too. Someone that stumbles around drunk at 2am on dark, remote streets could be a target nearly anywhere on the planet. A little smarts and common sense will carry you anywhere. :wink:
I've never had a problem at 2AM in the dark!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

RG- Is it because you're the guy were stumblng/running away from? wink,wink,nudge,nudge :lol:
RickG

Post by RickG »

Well, I have scared off a few ladies when I was just trying to be friendly! You know, you're trying to be friendly and you realize your only wearing one shoe...

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Ah, a pirate with a peg-leg, I knew it! Eye patch beneath the sunglasses, I bet....apologies for digressing on this thread :shock: