Three short turtle videos

Travel discussion for St. John
JC

Post by JC »

Yes jmq...you are correct. The video is from a Canon SD850 IS point & shoot with the underwater housing! Very user friendly!

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

Okay, admittedly a dumb, dumb question probably but... can you buy an underwater housing for most small digital cameras???
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Have to check these out tonight can't see them here at work :(
jmq

Post by jmq »

CruzBayB wrote:Okay, admittedly a dumb, dumb question probably but... can you buy an underwater housing for most small digital cameras???
Check with mfg websites. Search here also previous discussions here re $$ and pros/cons digital camera +housing vs. water proof digital cameras like those made by Olympus and Pentax that have been touted here (dont know if they have a video function).
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thank you for the turtle videos! So cute! I love watching them munch on the sea grass.

Kathy, I have found turtles at lots of beaches. Here are some ideas:

Little Lameshur, swim to where the rocks stick out of the water.

Salt Pond, check in the middle of the bay--out near where the boat moorings start.

Francis, look on the far right side of the beach--out pretty far--close to the boat markers. We generally find the biggest turtles here, but sometimes the visibility is not the best.

Trunk--check on the right side of the cay as you are looking out towards the water.

Cinnamon--we've found them three times out at the cay--always on the left front side as you are looking at the water.

Waterlemon--look along the right side of the Cay as you are looking at the water--not up really close to the cay but in the sandy area to the right of the island.

At Maho, I've had the best luck by waiting on the beach to see their heads pop up and then swimming out to them. For some reason when I just troll around in the water I don't come across much at Maho.

We've also found baby turtles at Frank Bay at least twice that I can remember, a couple at Klein Bay, and of course lots of all sizes at Caneel.

Happy hunting! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
JC

Post by JC »

CruzBayB...here is a link to the store I purchased my underwater housing from. I can highly recommend them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... SD850.html

If you have any other ???...please feel free to PM!

Jen

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

Thanks for the fix. They are so peaceful.

For those interested you can get underwater housing for camcorders. We got one for last years trip but never uploaded the videos on line.
When will I see St John again?
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

I LOVE a turtle:) Could follow them for hours.
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile