Gallows or LeLapin2

Travel discussion for St. John
DonnaC

Gallows or LeLapin2

Post by DonnaC »

Down to final two...Gallows Point or LeLapin 2..Like the convenient location of Gallows, but cost with car will be the same at LeLapin..I appreciate any feedback!!
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Gosh Donna - what a terrible decision to have to make :-D

I have never done the "villa thing" so I know nothing of staying in one - but the photos of Le Lapin are magnificent!!!

We have stayed at Gallows and are going back again this May - and I would not trade the location & convenience of the "condo resort" for the most luxurious villa... I LOVE having the WATER RIGHT THERE - not just the view of it yonder-in-the-distance. I LOVE SMELLING it, HEARING it & being able to walk to it in a minute to go snorkel in it. I also LOVE having daily maid service: Having my bathroom shined up daily, toiletries replenished, sand from daily beach excursions vacuumed up daily... and fresh towels WHENEVER I need them. I also love seeing other people on vacation to chat with while taking a quick little dip in the pool - that to me is more luxurious to me and makes me feel like I'm on a more festive vacation. To me, a luxurious villa with no maid service doesn't jive -.

The convenience to Cruz Bay is very important to me as well. We rent a jeep for exploring beaches & the island itself, but walk into town daily to shop & dine - It is so nice when there is down-time and one of us can just take a 5 minute walk into town to explore... LOVE EVERY ASPECT OF IT!

BUT... everyone has their own ideas of what is luxurious and what is important - so - you will have to decide what will "float your boat."

Whatever you decide - you are going to PARADISE - so -basically, there is no wrong decision!

ENJOY!!!!

Lisa
Peace,

Lisa
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

I'm with Lisa on this one. We have rented at Gallows for years and it's nearness to town is what we like.

I believe the closeness to CB gives you a different perspective since you can up and go very easily without having to think about driving.

Although we rent a car for the duration of the trip, we do find that on certain days it just sits. It is a very easy walk into town to get a safari taxi to any north shore beach. Travelling back is just as easy.

When we didn't rent we never found it a problem with just calling around finding a car for a day or two to head out to the Coral Bay area. There is a small shop at Gallows and they will help you find a car. Or and I think it's with Cool Breeze, you can ask for a Gallows discount. Or ask at the desk. The folks who work the desk are great. I believe there is now WiFi in all of the units (Suite St John for sure) They have a computer in the lobby and if you need to take your laptop WiFi in the lobby.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Another vote for Gallows....

My wife & I love the thought of a private villa for a variety of reasons, but the convenience of being close to town was great. Not having to drive after being at the local watering holes was key. And after dinner & drinks, a little walk feels awesome.

Gallows will definitely be our choice for the next visit.
Last edited by ScottB on Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NCSue

LE LAPIN!

Post by NCSue »

I don't know how many in your party - but I will say we rented Le Lapin 2 years ago and it was perfect! The 2 masters (identical) are on the top floor with a great view of Hart Bay. The other 2 bedrooms (also identical) are on the main floor and are also great! Plenty of space for the kids to spread out and play by the pool - great deck. The only drawback - our pool service was non-existent! We were there for 2 weeks and never had the pool serviced. We did make several calls - to no avail. Didn't stop the kids from swimming, though! And there's a great hammock out beside the pool to observe the kids playing and still enjoy a beverage relatively dry! ENJOY!
DonnaC

Post by DonnaC »

Gallow Fans..Is there a unit you recommend? They are all individualy owned and I am sure some are better than others..it will just be hubby and I..The plus of the villa is that we are away from the kids and can enjoy a "romantic" midnight swim :)
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Hey Donna - I don't think you can go wrong with any of the condo locations - harbour or ocean - it's all what you like looking at. We'd stayed in 8D - which was ocean side - and close to the pool. This time around we are on the other side - far from the harbour - and a bit further from the pool.

As for a romantic dip in the pool... the pool at Gallows was seldom busy - especially later in the evening - unless you're planning on going skinny dipping - you can still enjoy a romantic midnight swim :wink:
Peace,

Lisa
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Donna, you are correct in that they are each individually owned. If I am not mistaken when you book through Gallows you will select a location and get the unit that is available at the time.

We have always booked through Suite St John. They own 11 units and when you book from them you will get the specific unit you want. However, you will get all of the services as Gallows has picked up what Suite St John had done on their own.

My preference is Suite St John.

/no affiliation to them
DonnaC wrote:Gallow Fans..Is there a unit you recommend? They are all individualy owned and I am sure some are better than others..it will just be hubby and I..The plus of the villa is that we are away from the kids and can enjoy a "romantic" midnight swim :)
DonnaC

Post by DonnaC »

One big concern...a number of reviews at tripadviosr describe the units as being a "little long in the tooth", needing some updates..worn out furniture etc..and that the outside looks better...did you all find this to be true? .any units better than another?.the view looks great to me from any of them..does suite st. john have the best units?
suzi

Post by suzi »

One thing you need to decide is whether yu want to be on the top floor ( all have a sleeping loft and 1 1/2 bath) or the bottom floor ( 1 bedroom and 1 bath). We stayed at Gallows 9A, I believe, thru Suite St John. It was bottom floor and very close to the pool, but still had a wonderful, wonderful view. the nice thing about the bottom floor, is that you can walk right out the sliding front door. We would whip up some rum drinks and have happy hour by the pool, or walk out to the edge of the property/cliff at night and look at the stars. It was very very convenient to be able to walk right out on the ground level.
On the other hand, the upstairs have a bigger wider view and have an extra half bath. I think they are brighter and alittle more private. No one can really look into your unit at night, if they are walking by. alos, sitting out on your balcony up there must be marvelous and also more private. BUT,to go to the pool or the beach at Gallows, you have to go out the front door, and around the buildings to get there. It is really a toss up as to which is better. Just depends on you and who is going to be with you. We had kids and running in and out the front sliding door was great.
Look on the Suite St John web site and it will show you all the numbers on the buildings and which ones they rent.
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Donna - the last time we were there was 1 1/2 years ago - and then, the condo we had was in fine shape, the grounds and pool meticulously maintained.

I too have seen an occasional review where someone said the unit they'd been in needed some updating - - mostly on tripadvisor.com - BUT - I see those kinds of reviews for every resort - Caneel, Westin in addition to many many other lovely hotels & resorts I have visited in other locals - It is really a fact that unless the place is brand-spanking new, there will always be things that need to be fixed and updated - and sometimes those things don't happen right away. Based on my observations, I can't help but think that, for the most part, Gallows is on top of their game - (I know they read tripadvisor, etc...they have it listed on their own site) and their updating and repairs is an ongoing process.

ENJOY!!
Peace,

Lisa
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Ah, yes 9A. Our favorite and we'll be there again the end of June for Carnival.

As suzi said it's great to just walk out to the pool, keep the doors open and look over Pillsbury Sound in the directions of St Thomas.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

DonnaC wrote:Gallow Fans..Is there a unit you recommend? They are all individualy owned and I am sure some are better than others..it will just be hubby and I..The plus of the villa is that we are away from the kids and can enjoy a "romantic" midnight swim :)
We liked our unit at Gallows: 2C. The view was nice and it was quiet. The furnishings were fine and the bed was comfortable.
parafins

Morning snorkel!!

Post by parafins »

Back in June we spent one day at Cinnamon Bay camps. To wake up the next morning and here the sea was just wonderful.The one thing I like about being so close to the shore was that I could let everyone sleep in and I could do a morning snorkel. No driving anywhere or begging the kids to get moving!So my vote is Gallows.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Wow, looks like 9A is popular....as that's where we stayed as well. Great views, and just a couples steps away from the pool.

The pool area was almost always quiet at night, and we spent plenty of time enjoying some very romantic moments out there under the stars. :roll: 8)

Definitely rent through Suite St John, as they will guarantee your unit choice.