I need dinghy advice, please.

Travel discussion for St. John
smilesfromMN

I need dinghy advice, please.

Post by smilesfromMN »

Hi-
I know I could spend countless hours searching past posts for the info that I need, but I also know that many of you visit STJ quite frequently and may have updated info to share that I would not find in past posts. (Ok, enough of my disclaimer about why I am asking a question that I am sure has been asked before... :wink: )
My husband, our two sons (4.5 and 7.5 - at these ages the ".5" actually makes a difference), and myself are visiting STJ for the third time in March/April. We have a half-day snorkel with Capt. Phil planned, but we are also considering renting a dinghy for a half or full day and exploring some of the beaches that aren't as easy for the kids to reach by foot. So, I have a boat load (or dinghy load in this case) of questions:
1. Is this a good idea with kids?
2. Full or half day?
3. Who do you recommend we rent from?
4. Where can you actually take the dinghy? I read somewhere that all beaches are public if you access them from the water - is this true?
5. Can you pull the dinghy up on shore or do you anchor it? How?
6. It seems like a really fun thing to do, but is the adventure/scenery/snorkeling worth the time/effort/price?
7. Any other info or advice?
Thanks so much everyone! I could call a few rental places and ask these same questions, but I have found (through lurking and some asking/commenting) that those-in-the-know are all right here!
Splasher54

Post by Splasher54 »

We judt rented a dinghy from Noah's Little Arks last weekend for 1/2 day and had a great time. We didn't have any kids with us, but it was easy all around. They will explain how everything works and where you can and cannot go. With small kids, I would definately beach the dinghy as it can be tough to get in and out of when tied up and the NPS Buoys. We strictly did tie ups and were ok with getting in and out, but it can be difficult. We had a great time bouncing around to various beaches and hit 5 spots in the 4 hours that we had the dinghy. Wish we had done this other times when we visited the island. We were on a cruise this time and only in St Thomas for 8 hours, but this was the best snorkeling we found on our trip. But then we can spend hours snorkeling at St John (and usually do!) Hope this helps
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Do you have any experience with boats ? If the wind and swells are up it can be a bumpy ride. Beaching the boat is not hard but if the swell is up it can be a little tricky to get off the beach. If you tie up to a morring to snorkle or anchor getting back in can be tricky as well.
You can rent the dingy at Noah's. from their ists about 45 minutes out to Warterlemon Cay and then you can make your way back. I don't mean to discourage, because it is alot of fun, but with two young ones, if you and hubby have no experience at all I would let someone else do the driving.

Technically all beaches have public acess, except for Caneel, where you will be waved off. Most beaches have bouys, which mark the area from where the dingy should approach. Most eaches alos have bouys which prevent you from getting to close to shore to mark off the swimming areas so often you are a pretty good distance off the beach. Noah's will give you a chart and a good briefing and tell you what areas are off limits. If I recall they don't want you to take them any further than Waterlemon

A full day might be long for the kids. Do you know if they get seasick?
Cid

Post by Cid »

I can't exactly help you on this....but there's plenty of dinghy advice aroud here!!
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
smilesfromMN

Post by smilesfromMN »

Thanks for the advice! We do have quite a bit of boating experience (own or have owned ski boat, fishing boat, sailboat - we do live in the land of 10,000+ lakes!), so I think my husband could handle most situations. I was thinking that 1/2 day would be the way to go and you all have confirmed that. I've read other good reports on Noah's Little Arks, so I think I'll give them a call. Thanks again!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Just a few things about the dinghys (my children call them "motor floater boats"-they started that when they were about 5 and 7).

I am not sure if you are real familiar with the seating. It probably will be ok for you, but just so you know, the seat at the very front of the dinghy is really high up when the dinghy is going at anything other than a slow speed. So if you are going over wakes, etc...we haven't been real comfortable with our kids (our first dinghy trip was about the same age as your kids) being at the very front. So I sit at the very front facing backward. We are worried about them bouncing out. It is quite the bumpy ride, especially if your husband decides to terrorize you. So if you have big boobs, it hurts.

My youngest was pretty scared in the back, if it is rough, they may be bounching around a LOT. They may love it or hate it. Mine like it now but it was scary at first.

That said, we still love going in the dinghys. It sounds like with your boating experience you will be fine. But these are "kid" issues you might want to know about. Of course, bring lots of water and food because it is a long day. (we do the full day. It is brutal, but our kids are pretty tough).

Finally, the dinghys might have first aid kits but I am not sure. I have a teeny tiny one in my beach bag now. After our first dinghy trip a nylon rope fiber got embedded in my finger, it was VERY painful. I always carry tweezers now.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

smilesfromMN wrote:Thanks for the advice! We do have quite a bit of boating experience (own or have owned ski boat, fishing boat, sailboat - we do live in the land of 10,000+ lakes!), so I think my husband could handle most situations. I was thinking that 1/2 day would be the way to go and you all have confirmed that. I've read other good reports on Noah's Little Arks, so I think I'll give them a call. Thanks again!
In that case then go for it... you will have a great time.
NIKKI

Post by NIKKI »

Hi

We rented from Noah's and they were very good
IMHO half day is enough.
In the afternoon it can get a bit choppy.

We rented for 1 full day and had to come back about 2pm because it was getting too choppy. My other half is very experienced in sailing so knew it to be so.
So next time we will do 2 half days instead.

It is so worth it though as it is a great way of visiting less populated beaches.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

First of all, I just have to say that the title of your post warrants a few very childish jokes, but I'll just giggle to myself!! Yes my sense of humor could entertain a 6 year old!! :lol:

Just wondering if anyone has taken the dinghy around the south end towards Chocolate Hole or Fish Bay area? Is that allowed? Those areas are tough to access via driving, so I would think this would make sense?
smilesfromMN

Post by smilesfromMN »

ScottB - yes, I realized that right after I posted, but I then I figured it might encourage people to click on it just for fun and give some advice in the mean time! I'd also like to know if there are any rentals that you are allowed to take around to the Fish Bay area?
mahobayb

Post by mahobayb »

Smiles,

Just wanted to thank you for bringing this up.
We are very interested in doing this, also.
Now I know we will be doing a half day.

Good choice on Capt Phil :D
He and Tarn are wonderful.
we never touch someone so lightly that we don't leave a trace