Donkey Diner 'skeeter report please

Travel discussion for St. John
patr

Donkey Diner 'skeeter report please

Post by patr »

I know the DD is under new management and since we will be staying in Coral Bay, would like to give it try.

Last time we were there (2007) the mosquitos UNDER the the tables were HORRENDOUS!!
I seriously ended up with hundreds of bites on my feet and ankles, luckily I had on jeans and the bites stopped there - it did however make for many sleepless nights. :x

Sooo, does anyone know if this problem has been addressed by the new management?
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

We sat at the rear picnic tables for pizza one night a couple of weeks ago and there were no mosquitoes to speak of, but that may have been due to weather factors.
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

I'm not exactly sure what they should do. Spraying around a pizza place has its own issues. I'll be out there Monday. Should I ask?
vav

Post by vav »

Not to be rude, but why would you sit there long enough to get bit hundreds of times?
JT

Post by JT »

It's STJ! Outside places near the water have skeeters, especially around sunset, and if it's been rainy recently.I just expect it. Use some bug spray.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Lex

Post by Lex »

I don't know what the owners could actually be expected to do. Up here where we live we sometimes have a lot of bugs that can drive us inside on a summer night. Like JT, when I'm in the tropics, I expect bugs. We put on insect repellent and if the bugs are too bad, move inside or leave. I also bring some Solarcaine, mostly in case I get sunburn, but it's also effective for itching bites. I'd imagine that there are other products of that sort.
patr

Post by patr »

Ok folks maybe I did not explain fully.

First off, I know St John has a reputation of having many skeeters. When we go out to dinner, I ALWAYS spray. This was breakfast, we ate indoors, the ceiling fans did a good job of keeping them away ABOVE the tables. For some strange reason, I do not feel the skeeter when it bites, it is about 12 hours later that my body reacts to the venom and then I get huge welts. So it seriously was not until bed time that I even knew how many bites I had received.

We eat breakfast at other restaurants on the island that are open- air, near the water and do not experience this problem.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

We ate inside in March and had no problems in shorts. I suspect their numbers could be related to rainfall.
GoldenDaze

Post by GoldenDaze »

We also ate inside in March and had no skeeter problems. Food is delicious!
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I got the worst and most bites of our last trip the morning we had breakfast at Donkey Diner. Them there are some blood suckers for sure!!! Second worst was breakfast at Tamarind Inn but it was worth it!

What can be done really? I know to expect more squitos if there has been heavy rains recently and prepare accordingly. Spray and keep my legs out from under those tables.
donkey-boy

Post by donkey-boy »

i will not go in that place as long as they have donkey on the menu# ~db~