absolute best snorkeling spot on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
kit

absolute best snorkeling spot on STJ

Post by kit »

Where is the absolute, best snorkeling destination on STJ? We will be on a sailboat for a week in the BVI's, after the boat we will spend one day at Coki Beach (staying at Pt Pleasant, St Thomas)and one day on STJ. We have been to St John many times, We really want to either check out Coral Bay, a first for us, or do a great snorkeling destination, or both. We have been to Honeymoon, Cinnamon, Maho, Trunk and Leinster, the last being the best snorkeling. We would love to try someplace new, we will have a full day there though not over nighting in STJ.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We haven't been to every spot, but have been to many. For us, the best was Whistling Cay and the little beach around Mary's Point. And you wouldn't even have to rent a kayak!
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Haulover North is pretty hard to beat for pure snorkeling but has a rocky beach. Ya can hang at Haulover South and take the five minute hike over to north. Nicer beach to hang out at, plus the snorkel is darn good there too, go right all the way to the point.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

cptnkirk wrote:Haulover North is pretty hard to beat for pure snorkeling but has a rocky beach. Ya can hang at Haulover South and take the five minute hike over to north. Nicer beach to hang out at, plus the snorkel is darn good there too, go right all the way to the point.
Our last trip we kept hearing the same snorkeling advice. We never made it to snorkel as the weather and water was perfect on the North Shore. We did drive to Haulover on our exit day and really liked the beach at Haulover South and the walk to North was short, flat and easy. And as a bonus, the parking was easy.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
UF Prof

Post by UF Prof »

I have not snorkeled every beach either, but really like Waterlemon both for the fish and the coral.
Its been a hell of a ride, destination still unknown!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Each time I have been there I have a new favorite. I think it is because they change with conditions and time of year. Waterlemon, Maho, Trunk and Hawksnest have been good for me.
sherban

Post by sherban »

These two were my faves....

Pictures aren't mine, they're borrowed from the 'net... :P
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Beautiful pics Sherban! :D
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
kit

Post by kit »

SWEET, so do I have to figure out these pics or are you just going to tell me?
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

kit...I'll tell you!

The first one is Waterlemon...almost always universally GREAT snorkeling. If conditions are good going around the cay it is full of sea life. Other times we have seen hundreds of starfish on the northwestern side of the cay. LAst month we didn't see a single one.

The second one is Cinnamon ... personally I have not had good luck there, but that doesn't mean anything!

What can be a good snorkeling place one day can be not so good another day...BUT it is always a good day being in those waters looking for whatever is there.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Going to Salt Pond would allow you to check both items (Coral Bay and excellent snorkeling) off your list! The rocks out in the middle of the bay are one of my very favorite snorkel spots -- sort of a long swim but not too bad. And Salt Pond is a fabulous place to hang out for the day. There's a 7-min hike back uphill at the end of the day, but that's what ice-cold Tourist Trap cocktails are for -- to aid in speedy recovery :)
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

For a combination of easy accessibility and good snorkeling I think I have to go with Maho. Go all the way along the far left shoreline. I like Lameshur too, but much harder to get to with a limited time frame. Not sure why you want to go to Coral Bay, but I personally don't think it's worth passing up the snorkel.
RickG

Post by RickG »

#1 is Hart Bay on a calm day. #2 I can't give away number because Jorge would throw a fit.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

I'm not convinced #2 is Cinnamon...Isn't it Dennis?

I always enjoy snorkeling Maho and Leinster.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
Drumbiker

Post by Drumbiker »

.......I think this topic is like asking "Who is the best Rock n' Roll band of all time". Lot's of opinions and answers - and a good argument for any in the top 10!

I'd have to say Coral and Cruz Bay's are the only places NOT good for snorkeling around STJ!
Counting down the minutes.....