Spirit Airlines - Should I be Concerned?

Travel discussion for St. John
Pike9382

Spirit Airlines - Should I be Concerned?

Post by Pike9382 »

My fiance and I are booked on Spirit for our honeymoon 5/17 - 5/24. I found a great deal on tickets out of Detroit ($305 per ticket) so I went ahead and booked. I am now getting a little bit nervous about Spirit as I have heard some horror stories. I have flown Spirit in the past (5 years ago) and had no issues.

Could anyone let me know if I should be any more concerned about flying Spirit to STT than any other airline?

Thanks!
Tom
loria

Post by loria »

I flew to STT via FLL to STT christmas 2008 and had NO problems--very reasonable flight.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

I use Spirit AT least twice a yr and never have had problems.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

We have used Spirit many times over the years and never had any problems. Personally I think you can have bad experiences w/ any of the airlines and some have had issues w/ Spirit but I'm not one of them. Sounds like a good price! Relax and may the travel gods be good to you!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Spirit is great as long as you don't have to contact customer service
Tom
Pike9382

Post by Pike9382 »

Perfect. Thanks all! I guess I got a good deal. Wish I was leaving tomorrow...
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

WOW - Just priced it for our trip in July. About $600 less for 5 people. WOW! I'm thinking that might be the way we go! I have to drive to Myrtle - but that's nothing for $600!
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Hi NCSue,
We are not very far from Apex and we drove to Myrtle last Spring and flew Spririt to STT. The airport in Myrtle is small and very easy to get around in.

Flights were uneventful (or as uneventful as flights are these days!). I will tell you, it is definitely worth it to pay for assigned seating or you may get stuck in middle seats on separate rows.

Also, all Spirit Air flights leave the Ft. Lauderdale hub from a SMALL terminal and the terminal was VERY crowded. There were very limited choices for snacks, lunch, etc...and very long lines. You may want to bring some snacks.

-John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

I have flown DTW to STT several times without incident....I think they have great deals!
eehman

Post by eehman »

we flew spirit in october- no problems on the way down-- BIG problems on the way back. The first part of the trip to miami was ok-- then they boarded us for our flight to dc-- we sat on the tarmac- they announced there was a mechanical problem-- no food- no water- no bathroom-- a mechanic boarded the plane- another 45 minutes-- still out there-- then back to the terminal-- this time it is 11 oclock at night- not sure when they were getting another plane- but wouldn't help anyone try to rebook-- the only food cart that was open was a nathans hotdog stand. it was a nightmare. they finally did get another plane- but they did a terrible job managing the situation and were not apologetic about the situation.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

I think there are horror stories with ANY airline!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I have a horror story with EVERY airline but SPIRIT - because I haven't used them yet.
If I boycotted every one I had a problem with I wouldn't fly anymore!