Rachel's Taxi - How many people can she take?

Travel discussion for St. John
Taghan

Rachel's Taxi - How many people can she take?

Post by Taghan »

I've tried searching for this info and have come up short! Does anyone know how many people Rachel can take in her taxi?

We have a group of 11 people + luggage and thought a private taxi might be a little easier to get to the ferry. Thanks in advance for the help! :)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

she can't take 11 but she can work with someone to accommodate you between 2 vehicles. I believe she says she can take 8. Most we've had with her was 7.
stltimmy

Post by stltimmy »

Will she accommodate as little 2 people? What is the protocol for setting this up?
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

stltimmy...absolutely she will take 2! We did that in Nov. I called her about 2 or 3 weeks prior to our trip and she was there w/ her gorgeous smile waiting for us. We were so delighted w/ her conversation along the way that we went ahead and scheduled her to pick us up in Red Hook for the return to the airport...money well spent!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

mbw1024 wrote:she can't take 11 but she can work with someone to accommodate you between 2 vehicles. I believe she says she can take 8. Most we've had with her was 7.
I guess we were 2 of the 7. :wink:
As I remember, her van was completely packed with the luggage at that time - she even had to put one piece between the passenger seat and the door because it didn't fit in the back. There was room for one more person in the seats, though – so she can take a max of 8 if they don't have a LOT of luggage. Taghan, you'll definitely need two vehicles, which she can arrange as Mary Beth said.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Pickle, I agree 8 with luggage seems impossible to me! We barely squeezed in there. I didn't know about her creative packing :)
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

stltimmy wrote:Will she accommodate as little 2 people? What is the protocol for setting this up?
stltimmy, we've booked Rachel for 4/17 & our return trip. :( only 2 people and no prob. She is so delightful to talk to! for us it's a lot easier than the hassle of finding a van,maybe having to wait for others, taking the "local" instead of "express" to the ferry. Plus the idea of personal service to start off the vaca. is nice too.

We called her @ month ago,which was good since she said it's a busy time for STT (Carnival time)then. just have to call her the week before to confirm everything again. Her # is 340-771-2986. don't see a prob for your date but since she's only one person, the sooner you book the better.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

What are dates of STT Carnival? Anyone know?
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

mbw1024 wrote:What are dates of STT Carnival? Anyone know?
think the week of 18th is the early start/warm-up of activities and towards the end of that week starts the real festivities. could be wrong. not sure when it ends. our flt coming down on 17th is booked solid !!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

hmmm.. we're coming down the 12th but back on the 21st.
stltimmy

Post by stltimmy »

tipsy wrote:
stltimmy wrote:Will she accommodate as little 2 people? What is the protocol for setting this up?
stltimmy, we've booked Rachel for 4/17 & our return trip. :( only 2 people and no prob. She is so delightful to talk to! for us it's a lot easier than the hassle of finding a van,maybe having to wait for others, taking the "local" instead of "express" to the ferry. Plus the idea of personal service to start off the vaca. is nice too.

We called her @ month ago,which was good since she said it's a busy time for STT (Carnival time)then. just have to call her the week before to confirm everything again. Her # is 340-771-2986. don't see a prob for your date but since she's only one person, the sooner you book the better.
Thanks for the response! What does she charge? I may be a bit late, considering I am leaving next Wednesday. I have about 20 people coming down for our wedding, and wouldn't mind throwing some business her way.

Also, FYI, Inner Visions will be playing at the Beach Bar on 2/13. I haven't seen them before, but I know they are a favorite of many here. I reserved a Charter for our entire group to the BVIs that day. Heading straight to the BB after that for the show. Should be a rough Sunday morning ;-)!!!
stltimmy

Post by stltimmy »

One last question about Rachel. Does she wait for her van to fill up like the other taxis, the only difference being she only stops at Red Hook?

There are only two of us, and I would like to use Rachel, and I am trying to time the ferry. Didn't know if I can expect to get my bags and be gone, or if I have to wait for other passengers.

Thanks in advance!

Tim
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

she waits for only those booked with her. presumably one party. if she has multiple requests from people on the same flight or similar arrival time she may coordinate them.
Her charge is a little higher for 2 I think. Maybe $25 per person as opposed to $20. But don't quote me on that!
Taghan

Post by Taghan »

Thanks for the info everyone! I figured a group of 11 would be more than she can handle on her own, but wanted to make sure! I'll give her a call to see if she can partner with someone else to take care of our group.

I'm assuming this would be the best choice for taking a taxi to the ferry for our size group.....would you guys agree?
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

stltimmy wrote:One last question about Rachel. Does she wait for her van to fill up like the other taxis, the only difference being she only stops at Red Hook?

There are only two of us, and I would like to use Rachel, and I am trying to time the ferry. Didn't know if I can expect to get my bags and be gone, or if I have to wait for other passengers.

Thanks in advance!
Tim
Hi Tim, she only takes one reservation at a time, if there is more than one pick-up, she has another driver come. She will go to the ferry that is leaving 1st,unless you have a preference.

She charges $25 pp for 2. For us it's worth the comfort of personlized service and no waiting. Want to get on STJ ASAP!!

Congratulations on your wedding! Much happiness to you both.

Debbie