Do you watch TV when you are on ST John?

Travel discussion for St. John
susan & herb

Do you watch TV when you are on ST John?

Post by susan & herb »

We spent 10 days on St John last year and didn't turn the TV on once. Brought lots of CD's and lots of books.

Many years ago we went to St Barts and the place we stayed in for a week didn't have a TV. Oh no, I cried. Husband said we would just have to go cold turkey which we did. Now whenever we go to the caribbean, we never turn on the TV. It's a whole different atmosphere. We even talk to each other!!!

Was just curious what most of you do.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

when we were there last year it was baseball playoffs so we did watch the games at night. Other than that not much that I recall. If at all. We brought movies on DVD but never watched a one!

We got to Maine for a week every year and there is no tv and no phone to speak of (there is one there for emergency) and there's also no cell service! We never miss any of it!
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Last trip we watched the NHL playoffs at Woody's! Now THAT was fun! Other than that, not really any tv at all.
mia

Post by mia »

When we were there in February, the Super Bowl was on....it was the only time the TV was on. My husband and daughter watched it....I sat out on the deck and listened to the cheers coming from Skinny Legs. :lol:
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

We do watch a little tv at night before going to bed. News - or whatever - sometimes a movie - while we lay in bed and review photos taken during the day on the camera.

For me it's a fun novelty since we don't have (or want) a tv in our bedroom at home :wink:
Peace,

Lisa
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We usually don't turn the TV on at all. However, last trip we did once, to watch Pedro Martinez' first time pitching against the Red Sox (poor guy), and our first trip we watched the 2003 Red Sox-Yankees playoff series (ARGH!!!! :x :x :x ). In 2005 we watched a couple of movies because the villa we rented had a big TV, but to be honest we fell asleep while they were on. TV is not a big part of our vacations.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

funny that sports is a recurring theme. my team's first round elimination was MUCH easier to take on STJ :)
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

We watched the Super Bowl at Pastory Gardens. We did turn on the TV to try and catch what the weather was like back home in PA.

Midweek, we put the TV on to catch some news....and Anna Nicole Smith was found dead...good Lord, that was the only thing all over the news for the rest of the week. Needless to say, we did not feel inclined to turn the TV back on anymore!!
2FarNorth

Post by 2FarNorth »

no... no TV...cuts into limin time
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

might turn on the weather channel to see what we are missing at home but other then that no
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

That all depends on if you packed one of Jorge's DVDs :roll:
Betty

Post by Betty »

I set the DVR at home and enjoy a TV free week! I do check my email and scan the news online while in St John :oops:
cat

Post by cat »

My husband can't let go of the news no matter where we are. He has to get his news fix at night. If there is a USA Today anywhere he will definitly stop for it! I would rather the music.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

We are on island every year at the end of April. I'm a pro football nut. So, I do turn on ESPN to watch the draft.

Fast forward to winter. When I look outside and see a foot of snow, while watching one of the players who I followed in the draft, I harken back to the day that I went back and forth between pool and tv to watch him get drafted.

So, oddly, football season always reminds me of STJ.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

My husband and I just spent 3 weeks in the Virgin Islands and the only time we saw any television was Super Bowl Sunday at Skinny Legs. We left at half time and headed back to the quiet of the boat. Know that if it were the Patriots playing we would have stayed for the entire game.
We don't have a TV on the boat and enjoy our quiet time! When I'm there alone during the summer at a condo, I very seldom watch TV. When I was there last summer the Red Sox game was to be on TV and I was very excited to be able to finally watch a game. As luck would have it the TV in the condo died just before the game was to start! :cry: