St John fan with a St. Croix question.....

Travel discussion for St. John
star2515

St John fan with a St. Croix question.....

Post by star2515 »

After our trip to STJ last yr there would be nothing better but to go back this year...however with enought points saved up for a free 7 dy cruise on Royal Caribbean that's what we'll be doing. Our last stop is at St Croix and I thought my best option would be to get a Charter and go snorkling down toward the east end.....which may be hard/expensive since most people want to go to Buck Island. I've contacted (left a msg 3 dys ago)with the Jolly Roger, with no responce and emailed Belinda Charters(since there are only 2 of us...unless i can find someone else to go with us it would be $400 for a 1/2 day sail). Does anyone have any knowledge of these two charters, or any others that so out toward the east end instead of BI? Any other comments on what we should do are welcome as well....thanks.
PL3

Post by PL3 »

These guys will take you on a fun ride, you drive, snorkling where no one else goes on the east end.

http://www.stcroixwatersports.com/

http://www.stcroixwatersports.com/jetski.html

Don't miss the beer drinking pigs on the way back to the boat, ask Norma to make you a Mamawani...
Last edited by PL3 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

Hi - I'm on island right now. If it were me, and I didn't want to go to Buck Island I would probably just catch a cab out to The Tamarind Reef at Green Cay - good snorkeling there, The Deep End Bar for a nice lunch and drinks, a small beach, Green Cay Marina, showers. You can also kayak out to a small cay and snorkel there. The guys at the water sports stand will take good care of you.

Chenay Bay would also be an option on the east end - calm, pretty beach, decent snorkeling, Mahi's Restaurant.

Right now the island is buzzing with lots of folks in for the St.Croix food and wine event - all this week. That's probably why you haven't received a return call/e-mail.

Have a great time - we LOVE St.Croix - this is our fourth trip in four years.
Cruzan

Post by Cruzan »

You should definitely try Big Beard's. They've been operating on STX at least since 1982 when I got there.
wwww.bigbeards.com
There are other awesome snorkeling off of Cane Bay (north shore) also.
Since, as you point out, most outfits take people to Buck Island, if there are other places you want to go you should check for a private charter. It'll be costly, but that's what we're doing while on St. John.
Buck Island's trail is pretty cool, but you can also veer off the trail and go to other places. There are TONS of places to go there. Scotch Bank (sp.) is another great place to diver/snorkel on also.
Don't give us, keep trying, you'll like it.
Also, if you can do a night dive (I know you didn't mention a dive), do one off of Frederiksted Pier.
budone

Post by budone »

Margy Z wrote:Hi - I'm on island right now. If it were me, and I didn't want to go to Buck Island I would probably just catch a cab out to The Tamarind Reef at Green Cay - good snorkeling there, The Deep End Bar for a nice lunch and drinks, a small beach, Green Cay Marina, showers. You can also kayak out to a small cay and snorkel there. The guys at the water sports stand will take good care of you.

Chenay Bay would also be an option on the east end - calm, pretty beach, decent snorkeling, Mahi's Restaurant.

Right now the island is buzzing with lots of folks in for the St.Croix food and wine event - all this week. That's probably why you haven't received a return call/e-mail.

Have a great time - we LOVE St.Croix - this is our fourth trip in four years.
Margy, Please come back with stories and pix. I made my first trip to St Croix in January. I need a trip fix!.
khud

Post by khud »

We snorkelled in St Croix last Oct and did Big Buck and the West End. Two very different experiences. Buck Island was deep with tunnels and larger fish. The trip out there on 'Wave Dancer" (through Caribbean Sea Adventures) was awesome. We stopped at the beach on the other side and were the only ones there. It was like our own little private island. For the West side snorkel, we drove to Dorsh Beach, parked along the beach in groves of trees and shallow snorkelled amongst the coral reefs. It was beautiful.
star2515

Post by star2515 »

Thanks for the recommendations. I called the Jolly Roger back and he said he'd been busy with this boat out of the water, but he'd call me back beginning of the week. But if he doesn't pan out, yall have given me several other good options.