Go in July or wait for cooler weather?

Travel discussion for St. John
IRMermaid

Go in July or wait for cooler weather?

Post by IRMermaid »

Any advice? My husby and I can't decide if we should book a trip for early July and deal with the heat, or wait for cooler weather. We'd also like to spend a night or two at Ivans' on Jost. Has anybody stayed there in July? Is there normally a breeze at night? Thanks y'all.
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

I see you are from GA, so the heat will be nothing new to you. Though the air temps are great Dec-April, there are some disadvantages to high season besides price: the waters are often rougher (swells tend to come in during winter months), more visitors mean more difficult parking and restaurant reservations and the snorkeling is not as good b/c the water is mixed up more.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

@irmermaid:

Breezes can vary. Stayed at Ivans in a cabin for a night last June (towards the end of June) and it was tolerable esp. with the fan they provide. If you're camping you are on your own.

A night or two is manageable depending on what you're used to. Considering that is Goergia you should be fine.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

We were there in late July last year and it was really not much different than Mid- April heat wise, but it seemed that the vegetation was more lush and colorful.
lovethebeach

Post by lovethebeach »

We've stayed there in July. It is a little warm during the day in the cabins, but at night it cools off enough to sleep (especially with the fan). We are heading back there this July. When are you planning on being there?
lsugolfer

Post by lsugolfer »

I had to laugh when the locals said it was hot and humid in late April.

It was almost 15 degrees warmer and 90% humidity when we landed in New Orleans... :lol: