Ferry boat employees asking for tips...a No-No

Travel discussion for St. John
stjohnjulie

Ferry boat employees asking for tips...a No-No

Post by stjohnjulie »

I remembered reading something a long time ago about how the ferry boat people are not supposed to ask for tips, but was unable to find the info again. VI Source has this new thing they are doing, "VI Answer Desk", so I asked them. They did a little story, http://stjohnsource.com/content/news/lo ... ry-tipping

Both of the ferry companies said that their workers are not allowed to ask for tips. They can ACCEPT tips, but are not allowed to ASK for them. One of the companies has Fired people for doing so. Both of the companies want to know if you are being asked for tips and their email address are provided.

For Transportation services email ronwoodly@hotmail.com

For Varlack Ventures, email info@varlackventures.com

I NEVER get asked for a tip, and was surprised to see that so many of you have been asked for tips. I guess they try and keep their requests for tips to tourist. I guess we all need your help, if you get bad service from the ferry boat people, PLEASE email the companies and let them know what is going on.

Awhile back, after digging around, I also found the email for the Commissioner of VI Dept. of Tourism. I've used their online system before, but never got a response, so I found her email, and got an immediate response. If you have something to say about your experience while in the VI, let her know, her email is bnnicholson@usvitourism.vi
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Our last two trips we were "asked" for tips. I thought it worked rather well as crew members were working diligently off-loading the luggage it seemed like they worked quicker and handled the luggage with at least a little bit more care (I think) because one of their co-workers was hawking tips. I would normally tip anyway unless my stuff was handled badly and the little side show was interesting.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Pia

Post by Pia »

I arrived home yesterday from a 3 week Stateside trip and at Red Hook there was a ferry staff member saying "tips for service, tips for service" as you handed off your bag and no I did not (nor do I ever) tip them.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
bert

Post by bert »

I get asked for tips on the Red Hook side when coming in from the states & looking like a tourist. Otherwise, never (and no, I do not tip the ferry guys!)

peace.... bert
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

On my trip last week, I did not get asked for a tip either in Red Hook on the arrival or Charlotte Amalie on the return. I did tip them a few bucks when we got to Cruz Bay, not sure if my hubby did on the return.

We did run into a few upset tourists whose bags were not tagged on the Red Hook to Cruz Bay journey (their fault) - got pretty heated between the passenger and the ticket collector - didn't appreciate the swear words in front of my son. Otherwise, no problems.
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

I don't remember from our trip 2 years ago. We don't have to give them our backpacks do we? It is our only luggage.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Over the past few years I've had ferry workers ask for tips on almost every single ferry ride. Someone usually shouts "be sure to tip the guys" or something along those lines.

We rarely, if ever, do.

Good to know that they shouldn't be doing this though.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Larry

Post by Larry »

I hear them asking for tips like 1/4th of the time. More around Carnival. But I only tip when they do a good job and treat my bag with care--which luckily has been every time.

I toss them like 3 or 4 dollars for 2 bags.

I tip because I expect them to not get paid much and its nice that they dont beat the sh** out of my bag despite being poorly paid. How do I know they are poorly paid? Who is properly paid in any service industry besides restaurant work (which relies on tips)? Nuff said.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

I don't tip the ferry guys. I would gladly handle my own bag if they would let me, but they won't. The people who work on the ferry boats aren't *rich*, but it is one of the better paying gigs on island. I was just on the ferry yesterday and I didn't hear a single person solicit tips.
lavender

Post by lavender »

I guess I am not sure of the big deal. i haven't ever had one ferry baggage handler ever be rude about asking for a tip - it is always pretty casual. I also don't understand the big deal about giving them a couple of bucks. I can't imagine that those jobs are all too glamourous and high paying and two or three bucks coming and going while I am on vacation there is not going to break me. If it is the principal that people are "bothered" by the handlers asking for tips then that is their right not to tip. Me - it doesn't really matter one way or the other - I tip them and am just happy to be able to ride "my" ferry to St John!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I always tipped in the past but once they started charging for bags I don't any more.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

When I use curbside check-in at the airport I tip per bag. If I use a porter I tip per bag. When I use a taxi I tip per hag handled. Now I have to pay for every bag I check with the airlines. I figure that when the ferry crew has to handle my bags I tip for that service also. No big deal. I know that the ferry baggage handlers are taking better care of my bags than American Airlines. Now that I think about it, my bags are probably paying more to get to the island than I am.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

A tip is something you give because you want to. I don't tip anyone who tells me I have to tip them. You can ask the valets here in town who say "It's complimentary, but you have to give us a tip." No, I don't.

It seems like the Red Hook ferry guys are worse than the downtown ferry. But I know they have asked me for tips, because I don't tip them when they do. It has been a while, because I try to always take the CA ferry when I can.
stj4me

Post by stj4me »

We were all asked to tip after getting off the 2pm ferry to Red Hook yesterday.