Leave the fancy stuff at home: Packing for STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

Leave the fancy stuff at home: Packing for STJ

Post by Gromit »

From time to time I like to post something about what to pack and bring to STJ.

Best advice? Leave the fancy stuff at home and go for quality over quantity.

Shoes: Your best bets are Keens and flip flops. Just sayin.

Tops: T-shirts casual tops. Cotton, stay away from fabrics that aren't soft or natural. Make sure they aren't too flimsy.

Bathing suits: go for comfort rather than style (shiny beads are not a plus as they attract barracuda) Tankinis are an ideal combo of form and function IHMO.

Bottoms: shorts or capris -- cotton (denim is not advised unless you are a sadist).

Hats: a MUST. Any simple cotton ballcap will do. I'm a fan of the Life is Good ones. Stay away from big floppy ones or giant straw ones. They don't hold up well on island and people will mistake you as a cast member left behind from the RHNYC.
In a pinch a bandana or buff works too, but offer no protection for your eyes.

Undies: optional. Those cotton camis with built in support. They are awesome.

Makeup: waterproof if you bring it. You will sweat your ass off in summer so if you want it to stay where you put it, waterproof is the word of the day.

Backpack or tote: leave the leather purse at home and opt for something that's fabric. Make sure it's big enough to hold "stuff." I like my Kipling backpack.

Waterproof sunscreen: SPF 15 min is a must. Don't dick around with anything that's not waterproof or lower than a 15. Wear it every day, reapply often. Also don't forget your lips. They burn too.

Bens Bug Spray: Yes it has DEET. Yes my kids will end up with 15 toes but in the meantime I don't get bug bites. Nuff said.

Flashlight: power goes out on island all the time. you just never know.

Neat Sheet: buy one, use it and then you'll know why you need one.

Nalgene water bottle: a big one (but not so big that you'll look like an idiot lugging it around). The Life is Good bottles are pretty cute and durable. Fill with water the night before and freeze. The next day you'll have nice cold water when you're ready to drink.

Decent snorkel gear: just bust out the $40 and got to Costco and get a starter snorkel set. They are pretty decent. I don't like to rent snorkel gear for the same reason I don't like to use someone else's straw.

Invest in a heavy duty mesh bag for your beach stuff: It holds a lot of gear and that way stuff will dry out.

Sunglasses: bring two pair. Cause you know you're gonna lose or break one pair. Plastic is better than metal since it doesn't heat up.

Baby powder: just bring it and use it. Helps get sand off and keeps you from getting too sticky.

I like to shove it all into a rolling duffle bag (like the kind you get from LL bean).

Well, that's enough for now.

Happy packing!!

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any of the products or brand names mentioned other than the fact that I own them and use them).
Last edited by Gromit on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Spot on Gromit! That's how we roll too~ :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

Cool, now I don't have to make a packing list. Great idea about the baby powder. WIll definitely try it!
elcnj

Post by elcnj »

had to chime in on this one since I often referred to several of Gromit's packing suggestion posts as I approached the state of packing panic.

We recently returned from a first time visit (yup - need to work on that trip report) so I can vouch for several of the recommendations:
1. Keens are a lifesaver, toe saver and rock scrambling saver. Worth every penny. My 19 year old was not impressed with the "look" of her 50 year old mother. Too bad. When you get to a certain age and/or gone through childbirth, how one looks isn't all that important (in most cases). I loved being able to walk comfortably onto the rock beach at Haulover or the short walk down and then up from Salt Pond. We had some rain ... SO much easier to be in Keens than flip-flops. I had those as well but one ripped the first day.
2. Clothes
I knew I overpacked because I didn't do the first rule of packing. Pack once, remove half, get twice as much cash. I AM glad I brought 4 different tankinis. Snorkel in the morning, drive around a bit in a wettish suit, return to villa for lunch ... changing into a dry suit FEELS like you are in real clothes.
St John truly is such a laid back, no need to dress up, come as you are kind of place. Being able to stop into Skinny Legs on our way back from snorkeling at Salt Pond - snorkel/salt water beach hair, no make up - it just doesn't matter. You are as you are, where you are.
3. make up
brought it for evenings but saw no need to even attempt during the day with waterprrof mascara since I am an eye-rubber when coming out of the water. It felt liberating to truly not care about the make up thing. I don't wear much anyway but this trip ... I never had any on till getting dressed for dinner.
4. Whatever back pack or tote you bring, make sure the material is water-resistant. I knew this in the back of my head but never had a chance to get out to get one before we left. Just used my good sized cnavas tote with outside pocket. Fit all things fine but absorbed the water from my suit (cause I had it slung over one shoulder)so my daughter's book, my St John MUST HAVE books (Feet, Fins, et al & Off the Beaten Path) were rather damp by the end of the day.
5. Nagalene Water Bottle is a MUST. Not only because of the never-to-decompose purchased water bottles coupled with the fact that St John doesn't have recycling capabilities but also, you WILL drink more water than you expect.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

glad my packing lists are of help to someone!
:wink:
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

elcnj wrote: Pack once, remove half, get twice as much cash.
Don't unpack 1/2 of what your SPOUSE packs, though! I did this, last trip, and took out all the clothes he was comfortable in :oops: , leaving only the stuff he didn't really like much....
Sorry, hunny! :roll:
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Doh!! :shock:
jmq

Post by jmq »

Great list, and I have chimed in with the rash guard suggestion on these lists and feel compelled to do so again after that recent newbie TR of bad sunburn sustained while snorkeling around Waterlemon.

Also, water alone in the big nalgene bottles does not always cut it for me – I need Gatorade to help ward off the dehydration and hangover demons, so added this Gatorade instant powder mix to our packing list:

Its about the size of a jumbo coffee mug.

Other packets of powdered mixes of choice are good too - ice tea, etc.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

We also pack the powdered Gatorade too!! Doesn't weigh much and like you said can really help keep you hydrated.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

elcnj wrote: When you get to a certain age and/or gone through childbirth, how one looks isn't all that important (in most cases).
Truer words were never spoken.

Both DH and I laugh when we look back on our honeymoon pictures. I had OUTFITS! Like 3 per day. DH actually took pants for dinner.

This past trip, I struggled on whether I should take two pairs of flip-flops - black and brown or just the brown ones.

I like the crystal light single-serve packets for my water bottle.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

We did Gator Ade sleeves. Mostly to fend off hangovers, but the child drank a lot of it. It's hard to get her to drink anything, so those were a good post-snorkel treat for her.

We nearly packed too little this trip: But, our pals had Jackson Hole shirts for us so we had that one extra T-shirt we needed.
sasky

Post by sasky »

My sister-in-law is shocked that my husband and I are able to go carry-on-only (although not anymore with a new little one, I'm sure!). She would ask say things like "What about all your dresses? And shoes? And hair products?"

You can try to explain this stuff to a chronic overpacker, but they really have to get down there and realize it for themselves.