Just did the math

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
stjohnjulie

Just did the math

Post by stjohnjulie »

Got back from Michigan a week and a half ago with my "personal item" being 15lbs of hand picked, fresh, Michigan blueberries. Was at Starfish yesterday and check the prices they had for their blueberries (which came from Michigan) and it works out that I brought back about $325 worth of blueberries. :shock:
JT

Post by JT »

That's berry,berry good.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

Man I'd like to sling those on the street in the VI LOL

I want to plant a couple bushes of those and some raspberries :mrgreen:
Pia

Post by Pia »

And I want to add that Julie makes some mighty fine fresh blueberry jam - thanks Julie :)
Realtor - St John Properties
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Yum!! I love blueberries.

There is a documentary called Food, Inc. Has anyone seen it? It is a huge eye opener for me. Actually, that is what is behind my commitment to not eating processed foods. This post reminded me of a family that didn't eat fresh fruit or vegetables because of cost. Are there any fruit trees on St. John, Julie??

What are you going to do with 15 pounds?? Share it? Freeze it? Make wine or jelly??

xoxo
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

There are a lot of different kinds of fruits and berries down here that most of us statesiders never heard of. Since my husband is West Indian, I get to try a lot of them out. I've never been a fan of tropical fruits...I'm a northern girl...so it's kind of hit or miss for me. I do like the fruits plucked off of the cacti (especially the night blooming cereus and barrel cactus). And breadfruit is really tasty once it has been roasted on a fire. I also like sugar apples, and the limes are awesome. You can check out some of the stuff we have on See St. John website, here is the link to the "fauna" section. http://www.seestjohn.com/flora.html

I usually give away half of the blueberries. A little bowl of just berries to friends and family. A lot of my West Indian friends never had fresh blueberries before. This year, I also made some easy jam and 4 dozen muffins. Then I freeze whatever is left. The berries don't last long here. They are not a fan of heat and humidity. But if I would have done my math a little earlier I would have had to set up a table in the park to sell them!!! It would have paid for my plane ticket!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I have to confess, I have a blueberry addiction. :shock:
They are currently $2.50 a pint and I eat a pint a day, fresh, in my oatmeal and plain. I love them. They also are very good for you, as you probably know.
They will get expensive soon and then will not be available and I will go through withdrawls. I really should freeze some but they are just not the same.

I don't blame you for bringing the berries with you!!
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

I'm a blueberry lover too and consume 70-80 lbs a year using them solely in my morning protein shakes. This year U-Pick is $1.50/lb and already picked is $2.00/lb. Pretty sure I paid $1.00/lb last year. I pick or buy those 70-80 lbs so that I don't have to pay $14.99 a bag at Costco which just about gives me heart failure.

Julie, last year I was dating a West Indian fellow. He liked the idea of blueberries but couldn't get over the consistency of the little seeds and kept spitting them out. Way too much effort (he wasn't that good at picking them either and made my clean-up job horrendous).
~Brenda~
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

I cannot even imagine someone trying to spit out blueberry seeds!!! But if any one could do it, it would be a West Indian. My husband can put damn near a whole fried fish in his mouth and spit out a pile of bones ten minutes later. Something I am far from mastering.

Frozen blueberries aren't the same. And if you wash them, they aren't the same. And if you stick them in the fridge, they aren't the same. They are delicious!! But they really are best picked right off the bush and popped right into your mouth. After I get them to St. John, they only last a day or two sitting out. I gorge myself for those two days then I start with the baking. What ever is left when I am sick of baking goes into the freezer. Sometimes I just eat a handful of the frozen berries. They cool me off and replace a popsicle.

Right now, the blueberries are cheap here...$5.50 a 1/2 pint. I've seen them for $12 for a 1/2 pint. A far cry from $2/lb.
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Question...when ya all are talking about Blueberries, are you talking about high bush blueberries, or wild blueberries, on the ground that you rake? In my opinion, they might as well be a totally different fruit.

Just wondering!
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

For me, guess it would be high bush (although I am not familiar with the term!). I know wild blueberries are pretty different. Another reason to pick your own...you get the good ones! A lot of places shake the bushes to collect the berries. Some that fall are good, some are not, but they tend to get a slight bruising if the bushes are shook. Nothing you can see at first, but they don't last as long once the flesh is bruised.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Stjohnjulie's blueberry muffins were top-notch.
Thank you, Julie!

- Ruth
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Thanks Ruth, I'm glad you liked them! I won't even mention how many of the 4 dozen muffins I ate. :oops:
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I do love blueberries..if you have an ALDI store they are 1.29 this week along with 29 cent per lb peaches & nectarines. Really don't like the store...wierd brands, but can't beat the fruit prices!