Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 28

jmhouse

Is it worth it?

Post by jmhouse »

I'm talking about the last minute, less than a week trips I've seen people on this forum take down to STJ/STT. I satisfied my need to get to STJ earlier this year and thought I'd be set for a while. But I've unexpectedly been bit by the bug again. It always comes out of nowhere.

My first mistake was checking flight prices while sitting at my computer on a slow Friday afternoon. Baltimore to STT is $400 round trip at the end of November (26th to Dec 2). Friday to Thursday, so that's really only five full days of island time. Maho has tents available during that time. I'd be going alone so they give a discount for that. Plus I'm a Friend of the VINP and I think they still give a discount for that too. I'd probably just rely on hitchhiking or taxis to get around. I know a Jeep rental just wouldn't make sense when it's just me. So it looks like the base expenses of travel, lodging and transportation would be less than $1000.

So, worth it?
Matt
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

I say go for it!! Life is all too short 8)
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Don't over-think it........just book it!!! Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
loria

Post by loria »

you have to ask??????
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
MIke

Post by MIke »

duh????
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

If it's non-stop from the east coast - go for it!

I did a Sunday - Thursday last March - it was well worth it! Had I not been able to travel non-stop both ways, I probably would have passed.
janet
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

the way I'm feeling right now if I could book a quick trip I would. Wouldn't hesitate for a second!
jmhouse

Post by jmhouse »

Haha ok so I know I didn't really need to ask this forum this question. I like that someone voted no :lol:

The flights aren't nonstop from Baltimore unfortunately. I made the mistake in June of opting for the cheaper Spirit flight out of DC. Ended up stranded in Ft. Lauderdale overnight due to that strike. Never again. I'll pay the extra $$ to fly out of BWI. Having a layover doesn't bother me even though a non-stop flight would be really nice.

How's the weather in Nov/Dec compared to May/June? It was almost unbearably hot in June this year. Then I came home and it was unbearably hot here all summer.

My other option is a backpacking trip along the Appalachian Trail in Virginia. So I can either hike in the cold for a week or relax in the sun.

Anyone else gonna be down there around the end of November? I've never met anyone from the Forum. It'd be nice to since I'd be travelling solo.
Matt
petepie

Post by petepie »

I think you can get airfare of about $320 out of DCA and IAD.
jmhouse

Post by jmhouse »

Yeah I did all that last time and with the parking costs and driving to/from there it ends up being about the same. I live so close to BWI I can take the lightrail and get to the airport for a couple dollars.
Matt
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

We did a 5-day in April '09; flew BOS-STT direct on the way down (connected in MIA on the return). Got a last minute deal Cruz Views in town, so the travel day was quick and painless. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

WE just booked a 5 day trip...guess youknow my answer
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We are will be there 12/2 - 12/7, so I would say yes. A short trip is still a trip!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

We'll be there late November, just for a week, and there's no such thing as a direct flight from here. I'd love to stay longer, but we are bringing the kids and I'm not comfortable pulling them out of school for more than a couple of days.
Hiking in the cold vs St John? You can hike there too! I think you know my answer! :D
Image[/url]
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Just you and your cameras on that gorgeous island for 5 days? I am SOOO jealous! You have to go- take the good lenses and post some pics for us!

Sounds like perfection to me :D