I had a stroke and am thankful to be alive!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
LysaC

I had a stroke and am thankful to be alive!

Post by LysaC »

I had a stroke back in August. I am 36 years old. Since all other causes were ruled out, they think it was due to the birth control pill coupled with a smoking habit I was working on kicking (I was down to 4 butts a day).

To summarize- My stroke hit a sweet spot in my brain that didn't cause huge damage and I was extremely lucky. I did have to learn some things- to walk unaided, to drive, to type, to hold things in my right hand- but a month or so of physical & occupational therapy and I was back to work with some mininal brain function issues and some residual numbness on my right side.

A few weeks ago I had what they think was some seizure activity due to the stroke. A setback physically & emotionally but I'm back at work again and continuing my recovery.

I have SO much to be thankful for this year. More than I have ever, ever, had! My husband, my family, my friends, my co-workers, my husbands clients, my luck (I sure hope it doesn't run out).

I hope that none of you have such an icky thing happen to you before you realize-

1. how important the people in your lives are,
2. how to put things in perspective,
3. how important it is to ask for help and take it when it's offered,
4. how love and laughter are the best things in the world.

Please make every effort to have a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday and give your family and friends extra long hugs.
lprof

Post by lprof »

I am so sorry for this difficult time in your life and so happy to know that you are making a good recovery.
Best wishes for all the good to continue and for you to enjoy excellent health in the future.
You are so correct about the "right" things for which to be thankful, those we so often overlook, yet are indeed the most important.
Happy Thanksgiving!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh my goodnees Lysa, I'm so sorry to hear this but I'm thankful for your recovery and positive attitude. I hope you continue down the path to good health. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Thank you both for well wishes- A happy and healthy Thanksgiving to both you and your families!

It's amazing how much crap we stress out about everyday. Please, just say no :).
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

Thank goodness you are on the mend. Also that they have an idea what caused it.
You are so right about asking for help and putting things in perspective.
I had a life changing episode 10 yrs ago and it showed me that slowing down was essential and being nice to myself too.
I did not listen at first and was UNpleasantly reminded and what you say is sooooooo true!!

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
linne

Post by linne »

Sorry about what you have been going through, but it seems as if you have the right way to handle your sickness and have good friends and family to help you.

All my best wishes for the future.

Linnne
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear that you've been through all this.
I am glad your recovery is going well and that you have such a great attitude.
Best of luck to you in your continued recovery and I hope you are able to get here for some R & R very soon.
Take care of yourself!

- Ruth
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Again, thank you for all the well wishes. The love & support Greg and I continue to recieve from friends and family has really made a difference. Helps keep us afloat.

As do daydreams of one day returning to St John! Ahhhh, my happy place...
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Oh my gosh Lysa! I am so glad you are ok and wish you the very best for continued health. I haven't logged in in such a long time and always marvel at what a great and supportive group this is. There is such great energy here!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Sent you a PM, Lysa! Best wishes for a full recovery!
loria

Post by loria »

Lysa! wow---glad to hear you are better --you truly (and we all do) have something to be thankful for!!-- i remember last thanksgiving ,my dad found out he was cancer free-that was a wonderful celebration-- stay well!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

I'm so sorry to hear about your illness. When I started reading your post it made me stop and think about how much I take for granted everyday. Thank you for that.

You have a great attitude. I am wishing you a speedy recover and a healthy 2011!
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Oh Lysa! What an amazing journey you've been on! I'm happy to hear you are recovering so well! And I'm thankful that you are here typing on the forum, like always! :D
Knolmom

I had a stroke

Post by Knolmom »

I am so sorry to hear about your life-threatening health issues. Be assured that with your wonderful attitude, combined with patience and perserverence and the love and support of your family and friends, you will realize your dreams. Hopefully, you will even get back to St John.... sooner than you think!
Trust me, I've been there--it can and will happen.
Coden

Post by Coden »

LysaC - how horrible for you to have gone through all of that. My wish for you is better health, no more strokes, and no more seizures. Take care and enjoy the upcoming Holidays!! :)
Coden