Upcoming Surgery

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
greyhoundmom

Upcoming Surgery

Post by greyhoundmom »

This is a bit personal but thought I'd put it out to my forum friends to see if anyone has been through this. Diagnosed on 12/15 with Invasive Ducticle Carcinoma. Scheduled for lumpectomy on 1/4. The Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy before surgery is freaking me out a little. Anxiety level is high. Started taking 10 mg valium today, one a day until surgery. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated!
P-600

Post by P-600 »

No advice. Just thinking of you and praying all goes well.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Oh man... I don't have any advice for you either, but I'm bummed-out for you! Stay on the valium, it'll really help. Please keep us posted!
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

oh man.....well...I have had 2 lumpectomies in my 20's...both were benign but with
"bone calcifications" in them..They removed the lumps and several lymph nodes in my arm pit....

Take the vallium....the nurses will be your new best friends...and hopefully it will all be over as fast as this happened! Sending tons of positive vibes and best wishes..keep us posted!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Sorry I don't have any advice either, but I am thinking of you and wishing you all the best for a positive outcome. Valium sounds like your friend.
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

My prayers and good thoughts are with you. You can beat this hideous disease. I am a 16 year breast cancer survivor.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

praying for you. stay strong!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Prayers headed your way.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I will keep you in my prayers.
Know that the power of your attitude will help you along this road. Sending my biggest hugs!
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Hi, this is Ali & Gina. Gina just went through something similar. She did a bi-latteral masecotomy, as the word "invasive" scared her into not wanting to ever have to deal with it in the future. Now that it's behind her by a few weeks, she can report that the masectomy itself was really not all that bad. She has tons of friends who had a lumpectomy everything went well with all. Keep a positive attitude and you'll get through it with flying colors. If you need to talk, she's got friends that have been through chemo & radiation and are survivors. If you ever need to talk, fb Gina (Gina Lyons). Cancer is a big word but doesn't have to be that scary. Anything you want to talk about it, just throw it her way. Good luck! Happy New Year!!!! Gina & Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
toni

Post by toni »

I'm sorry I have no advice, but am thinking only positive things for you.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Prayers going out to you! And they help, too, as does a positive attitude.
Coden

Post by Coden »

I've not experienced this, but I wanted to let you know that prayers and good healing thoughts are being sent your way.
Coden
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

My prayers are with you as well. As a hospital nurse may I give you a few pointers? See to it that anyone who touches you washes their hands(do not be afraid to speak up, your health is a stake), ask what medications are being administered to you(if the nurse has taken them out of the packaging and can't tell what she is giving, don't take it, I take the meds from the packaging while in the patients room and tell them what is is as I am putting it in the med cup), make sure people check your ID band before giving you meds, drawing or giving blood, before any procedure and that your procedure site is known(I use a surgical marker on my patients with a yes for right site). This may seem silly to some people, but mistakes happen in the hospital. My intent is not to scare you, but to make you and your family ware. Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

greyhoundmom, I am sending positive thoughts your way!!
As far as advice goes, I am no expert by any means but as an MRI tech, I do breast MRI routinely. Out of curiosity, have you had an MRI? Although it isn't the best test for ductile cancer, it is a good screening for both breasts. Sentinel node biopsy, although is sounds pretty scary, it routine for treatment planning. I wish I could be of more help but my knowledge is very limited and definitely not at the expert level.