A Close Brush with a Big One

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jimg20

A Close Brush with a Big One

Post by jimg20 »

About 6:15 this morning a tornado, preliminarily graded at an F-3 or F-4 came through NW Arkansas. It was fortunate for most of us that it touched down in a fairly rural area. It was unfortunate for some in its path. Three people, all in their 70's, have died so far and many more were hurt - some are critical. I was called out with our fire department to assist. Their own fire department was put out of service because the twister hit their fire station. From the photos, it looks like a total loss. Like any tornados, it left some unusual and spotty damage. One of the fatalities was killed in his milking barn while buildings around it look to be untouched. There is a barbed wire fence with its fence posts lying flat on the ground where they once stood and the wire is completely gone.

Give our neighbors a thought as you welcome in the new year tonight.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I was just reading about that. Horrible for all. Stay safe everyone!
bayer40601

Post by bayer40601 »

Glad you and your family are safe. Our thoughts go out to those who lost loved ones and property. Stay safe.
How many more days?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I just saw it on the news. I'm so sorry to see such devastation. Everyone in Washington County is in my thoughts tonight.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

You got it, Jim! We had a little one go through this summer. Now that we have snow, the damage is all too apparent, again.
Wishing for peace for the families and friends of the lost, and a fast rebuild for those who lost property!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Glad you are safe, we thought for sure we would get one with as warm as it is here. It was pretty balmy yesterday. Flip-flop and t-shirt weather in Dec, while nice, isn't good.
Coden
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Wow Jim, sounds like very scary stuff. So glad that you and Diana are okay. Our thoughts and prayers to all that were affected directly and indirectly. Happy New Year to you and Diana. Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

I'm so sorry for the victims of the tornado. Such a difficult time. I will be thinking about them.

Glad to hear you and Diana are ok. Happy New Year to both of you.

Jo Ann
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
loria

Post by loria »

oh jeez... that's awful. glad you guys are ok, and prayers for those who were hit.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

The tornado passed within about three miles of our oldest daughter's home. :shock: Our son-in-law got up when our fire department pagers woke us up and went outside. He could not see anything through the darkness and rain, but he could hear something that he described as sounding like a jet engine. We live about eight miles further from the path and our youngest daughter's family is four miles further than us.

Diana was called into the emergency department to help with the patient load. Her hospital took seven patients with four of them being classified as critical.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I am so glad you and your family are safe. I am sending thoughts and prayers to those less fortunate. I am sure Diana has provided the patients with great care and comfort at a very scary time in their lives.