Post by Betty »

I have new posts on my building blog
http://stjohndreams.wordpress.com/
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Yippee, I love reading them!!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Your knowledge of concrete technology and plumbing are outstanding. Do you want a job? :D Yes, that is 4,000 psi of compressive strength at 28 days. Concrete cures over a long period of time. It gets 2/3 to 3/4 of its ultimate strenth after about a week. Concrete cures instead of dries. The idea of keeping it wet is to keep the chemical reaction going for a longer period of time. That improves the strength.

I am so impressed with the quality of work and the progress you are making.

Keep those reports coming.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

I like reading your blog, but it's kind of giving me a headache. We went through a phase about three years ago where we were determined to buy a lot on St. John and build a small 2-bed, 2-bath Deltec (like the 800 or 900 sq foot one, no basement). Obviously the project costs increase with the scale, but you are helping me see just how pricey this whole thing can get. Are you using the Deltec company out of St. Thomas or the main office in Asheville?
P-600

Post by P-600 »

My husband is a builder here in Massachusetts and he has informed me that we will NEVER build a house on STJ. Buying one and fixing it up is more his speed :)
I love your blog, Betty!!
Nancie-Pa

Post Subject

Post by Nancie-Pa »

AS you know, I'm already a fan Betty. Love your blog!
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Jim ... Ty for the kind words and support, it is obvious you understand building construction and appreciate the amount of work we are putting into this!

ALW ... Do not be discouraged by what we are doing!!! You can simply put a 800 sq ft Deltec on top of a cistern very affordably! You do not need to be as extensive as we are! You can still get great lot prices down here, look at how many lots are available. Take the vulture strategy and offer 50 cents on the dollar. Les Otis of St John Properties is a great buyers broker and has tons of patience and does his research!a Make sure you can access the property with a Deltec, You want to purchase land without a severe slope! That is possible on St John! With respect to building on St John, we dealt exclusively with the Deltec corporate headquarters in Asheville NC.. No need to utilize a St Thomas builder when you are on St John!!! Why pay a St Thomas builder cost plus margin to come over everyday to St John when you have very experienced workers here on St John. Dealing directly with Deltec we got a 25% discount on our total purchase cost from Deltec buying when they were having a slow month.

P600... We weighed both buying a fixer upper and building new. There are a lot of issues with existing homes on St john. The issues are with poor quality in footings and foundations at grade level. Sometimes it is hard to identify these serious foundation problems even with a house inspection. When ever you come down again if you want to meet with us and see our project we would be happy to share information with you on our costs etc! But I can tell you we are building new for less than a fixer upper will cost you before being fixed!!!!

I know of 3 Deltec's going up in the next year and a half on St John because of the affordability and hurricane resistance and seismic resistance!
Betty

Post by Betty »

PS FinsUp We are Mainer's also, Popham Beach area!!!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Betty,
I have just skimmed and started reading your blog, and I love it! That sunset picture has to be a great hint to you of the beautiful views in your future!
It was great meeting you at the beach bar Sunday!
Image[/url]
Betty

Post by Betty »

Kentucky Girl... It was a pleasure to meet you and your husband at the BB, I have so much admiration for all of you that ran "8 tuff miles"!!! It was a pleasure, call us next time you are in town!!!!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Great blog - I think it will be very informative to a lot of prospective " buyer//builder" readers.
I commented on the blog but very few people understand you are NOT allowed to have a bathroom Above a cistern. Obvious once you think about it, but not so much, to stateside designers and dreamers.
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Betty, admittedly I don't have any intention of building anything anywhere but I am intrigued by your blog. I'm learning a lot about things I didn't even realize you had to consider when building from the square one.
~Brenda~
Betty

Post by Betty »

You are correct Exit Zero and we do not have any bathrooms above a cistern. We have around 65,000 gallons of potable cistern water. This house is not a rental, most likely just for friends and family. I have been told we will have enough water with 5 potable cisterns.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Thank you Brenda, this blog is meant to be informational and fun. I am not planning on renting, because this will be our home for 9 months of the year. It will be too much of a hassle to rent for 3 months, 2 being in prime hurricane season.
I also don't really get the whole low/high season pricing. It is more expensive to run a home down here in the summer months when a/c is running all the time yet you owners drop the price significantly.

We have learned so much from other building blogs that we wanted to try and share our experience with future builders. I know of 3 other www.Deltechomes.com going up on St John, in the next year. Two of them because they heard what we were doing and met with us and our builders.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Betty, your builders must LOVE you! You are getting them so much work! :D