Please Help!! Traveling with young kids

Travel discussion for St. John
George

Please Help!! Traveling with young kids

Post by George »

Hi all, My wife and I have been to St John about 8 times. We are looking at going back in December with our 4yr and 1yr old. We have done villas, gallows and westin in the past. We need the space that a villa provides us and the convenience that caneel would offer. Caneel is over $1000/per night (ouch). I dont mind paying a little extra but that is crazy. Does anyone have a recomendation on a great family place to stay that is easy to get to the north shore. Even on the north shore? can you rent that peter bay house that is on the sand?

Thanks for all your help

George
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

We have taken our kids...now ages 6 and 7...since my oldest was 1! Bay house on coral bay was a great set up for young families...a mere 5 to 10 minutes to maho and Francis...kid favorites. The problem you will run into is that many places won't rent to families with kids under 8....mainly for safety reasons. ..we have stayed at lavender hill..but not sure they accept young kids either...not sure if gallows does. You will want a comfortable place with a pool that the kids won't have access to..because you will be spending more time at the villa than most...the kids will love it!
byado18

Post by byado18 »

What about a timeshare unit at the Westin? Check on www.vrbo.com for people renting theirs.
George

Post by George »

i will check that out, thanks. any suggestions on villas?
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

we stayed at Bay House in coral bay....I know flip flop stayed at Seabiscuit with her kids when they were younger......
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

What exactly are you looking for? Pool? A/C? Interior bedrooms I assume?

Some places will say no kids but if you sign a waiver they might allow kids.

Casa Bueno and Bay Rum Breeze are both less than 10 minutes from Maho. Sunnyledge is near Maho and Francis but doesn't have a pool. The Gibney Beach cottages are right on the beach and one has two king beds but it's small: http://www.gibneybeachvillas.com/garden_cottage.htm
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Do you need a pool? If not, Terrahawk (rented through Catered To) is located right off North Shore Road, just above Gibney Beach. We stayed next door and loved the location.

That Peter Bay house used to rent for $25,000 a week :)

The bigger of the two Gibney houses might work.

Our neighbors stayed at 2B in Peter Bay and loved it. A forum member I spoke to about 2B was less then thrilled with their stay. It is on the water, a short but rocky walk to Peter Bay Beach.
petepie

Post by petepie »

What about Cinnamon Tarn through vacation vistas? Viewtiful looks interesting to me (I haven't stayed in either though). Gallows won't accept kids under 5, Lavender Hill might be age 4. There are also several condos in Grande Bay on vrbo. You could go with a 1bd and use the pull out sofa. Some others I've found in my research that appear reasonable and kid-friendly are Bay House, Seabiscuit (but now they won't take kids under 8), Sea Blossom, Sea Dream, Time Out, Grandview, Hibiscus Gardens. You may want to try a place with either no pool, hot tub only, or a pool off to the side of the villa.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Stayed at Seabiscuit with our then 19 month and 6 year olds. PERFECT house for littlier kids. Interior stairs! A/C bedrooms. Nice comfy house. Right above Cocolobo and Lilly's market. 10 minutes tops to Maho/Francis.
petepie

Post by petepie »

I had Seabiscuit on my list too (especially after reading your trip report), but when I inquired, they said they only take kids eight years and older. Other houses with similar floorplan (I think) are Bay House and Rhumb Runners. Bummer because you gave Seabiscuit a good grade for being family friendly. I think the age concern is over the pool and how close it is to the doors to the house (I guess the fear that a kid could break away and be out of the house and into the pool quickly).
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

When we looked at seabiscuit it had two groups representing it on island. One mentioned the restriction the other did not. We booked with the other. I think it was windspree.

We had no safety concerns but we were pretty vigilant as he was 19 months old and INTO EVERYTHING. I don't think there is a child proof home for a toddler! :)
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Re the child restrictions, it doesn't hurt to ask if they will make an exception. We have rented "no kids under..." villas with our son in the past. One time we were asked to sign a seperate waiver.
PatrickMcc

villas

Post by PatrickMcc »

I recently looked at a villa on Francis Bay- I think it is called the Francis Bay house. We decided we wanted to be closer to Cruz Bay but if you want access to Francis Bay and Maho it might be what you want.
PatrickMcc

Villa serenity

Post by PatrickMcc »

That is the name of the vila that I checked out. The house called Francis Bay estate is a lot more expensive
Tam-MO

Post by Tam-MO »

We stayed at Beach Estate with Donald Schnell with Artistic Villas last June. We had a 6, 7 and 12 yr old. It is on Great Cruz Bay and has a great little beach area with calm water. It has a beautiful pool and hot tub area. They have a gate that can be locked to prevent the kids from getting to the pool area. The only other way to the Pool area was from the Master bedroom. We kept the gate locked at night and that way we could make sure the kids didn't get to the pool unless we knew about it. It also had the master and another king room right on the main level. It was beautiful and the kids loved it. Artistic Villas has a link on this site I think.
Donald and Deborah Schnell were wonderful. We have stayed with them a few times. Have fun! :D