Coral World on St Thomas

Travel discussion for St. John
luvstjohn

Coral World on St Thomas

Post by luvstjohn »

Hello all. Hope everyone had a super memorial day weekend.

Has anyone been to Coral World on St Thomas? I have seen mixed reviews on the internet but I trust you guys opinions more than most. Is it worth the money and time? My 15 year old and I might want to go when we spend our day on St Thomas shopping. But if its not worth the money and time, we will forego it. Thanks all for your help and advise.

bre
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

A year ago I was in your shoes (unsure if we should go b/c of the mixed reviews). We decided to go and were glad we did. It was a nice place to spend the afternoon. My wife & I also signed up for the "turtle encounter" and it was our favorite part of the day.
Bryan
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I went over 10 years ago and I really enjoyed it. I think I went will pretty low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised.
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Xislandgirl wrote:I think I went will pretty low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised.
Ditto.
Bryan
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Whenever anyone comes to visit me in STT I Always take them to Coral World -- even if you have been to stateside aquariums the tropical aspect is still worth it - there are quite a few different areas to enjoy - but my favorite is the 360 degree circular aquarium room that you sit inside - we sometimes bring lunch and a bottle of wine and relax there for an hour.
loria

Post by loria »

Exit Zero wrote:Whenever anyone comes to visit me in STT I Always take them to Coral World -- even if you have been to stateside aquariums the tropical aspect is still worth it - there are quite a few different areas to enjoy - but my favorite is the 360 degree circular aquarium room that you sit inside - we sometimes bring lunch and a bottle of wine and relax there for an hour.
wow sounds nice! i want you to give me a tour of coral world! :)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I took my oldest son there for some guy time he was 21 at the time we were on STJ to spread his moms ashes so temper this statement with that thought. We went on a day when there wasn't a cruise ship in port thinking it would be less crowded it was. But over have the park was closed for maintance the employees at the ticket counter could of told us that but no word was said charged full price so we didn't get to go down in the obervation cylnder a bunch of buildings were closed. If I was to ever go again I'd make sure there was a cruise ship in port and ask what was closed down before I'd pay to get in. I complained when we left all they said was you take your chances
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

I've been to many stateside aquariums, big and small. Thoroughly enjoyed Coral World. It was a pleasant experience and I would go again.
[/url]
Connie

Post by Connie »

Coral World is definetly worth a visit and while you're there, snorkel Coki. Not just on the right side where everybody goes, but allllll the way to the left. There is a really nice reef there.

If you happen to come over from STJ, you can also stop for lunch in Red Hook.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
luvstjohn

Post by luvstjohn »

So I was looking at the St Thomas map and it looks like whether I take the ferry to Red Hook or to Amalie, the distance over to Coral World is about the same. So I dont think it will matter taxi wise which way I go, economically speaking. Does that sound about right?

Bre
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Seems to me that Red Hook would be a little closer. When we went for the afternoon we took the ferry to Red Hook, then a taxi to Coral World.
Bryan
luvstjohn

Post by luvstjohn »

After Coral World, we want to go to the outdoor shopping area. I think those are by Amalie right? Then we can take that ferry back to St John later in the day. Thats the plan anyway?

I hope taxis arent too expensive......are they? I will have to take 2 to get in everything we want to do. I only want to spend one day on St Thomas. Then back to St John for beach time......

Bre
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Coral World is on the opposite side of the island from Charlotte Amalie. So you will have some taxi fares involved.
From Red Hook to Coral World probably $5 per person
From Coral World to Downtown you are looking at $9 a person
Then you can either plan it to take the downtown ferry back, if it is running or take a taxi back to Red Hook for about $10 a person

the other thing to take into account is that the Vendors plaza is usually empty if there are no ships in port. So plan accordingly
luvstjohn

Post by luvstjohn »

So the vendors only set up when there are ships in port? Didnt know that at all! Thanks so much for that tip, that would have stunk had we gone over there for our St Thomas day and couldnt shop cheap....

Bre
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The Red Hook ferry is much closer to Coral World than the downtown ferry - if you are going to Coral World 1st go to Red Hook - then the downtown ferry back to Cruz Bay is available at 1 PM or 5:30 PM.
You could take the Cruz Bay to Charlotte Amalie 1st - shop at vendors plaza for cheaply printed Tshirts, knockoff bags, colorful Chinese products, costume jewelry etc. - visit Main ST and the waterfront stores - take a taxi to Coral World - and then to Red Hook from there afterwards - the ferries there are every hour so you have a lot more flexibility.
Depends on what treasures you will be carrying from shopping - lugging them around Coral World.
If you end up in Charlotte Amalie and want to go to Red Hook to catch an earlier ferry you could catch the 'dollar ride' open safaris - ask if they are going to Red Hook - it will be $2 pp.