Moving to Florida

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

Moving to Florida

Post by Connie »

We want to start taking a couple weeks in Florida, basically a pre-move visit. We love the West Coast and have had great vacations in Sanibel. We've also visited Treasure Island/St. Pete, Clearwater and Fort Myers.

We're in our middle 50's and we were talking last night about what we would want in a rental.

I wouldn't even know where to start with looking at an area. We definetly want safe and either on or near the water, even a canal in the back would be great for fishing.

I'd like to hear everyone's ideas and from there I can go on vrbo and check it out.

Does anybody know of a great area near Sanibel that would work for us??
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

look at Myrtle Beach area SC. That's where we plan our "goldern Years" :roll: winter months
loria

Post by loria »

pine island? boca grande is lovely little gasparilla if you want remote-ish stuff.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

My in-laws are in Crystal River. It's north of Tampa. Kinda in the middle of nowhere, but lots of fishing/boating/nature stuff in the area.

Just don't ask your kids to come visit because they'll curse you forever after driving from either TPA or MCO or driving in along 301.

Other than that, it's a nice area
Connie

Post by Connie »

We really don't want remote. We want to be near stores and shopping and not drive a long way.

Renting against buying. I love my home in PA. We've been here over 32 years and we also have a condo down at the Jersey Shore which husband says he will NEVER sell.

I feel like I would rather rent so that we don't have to deal with buying or maintenance. Husband keeps on saying sell our house here and buy down in Florida.

I've never been to Mrytle Beach or anywhere in that area. Does it get cold down there? I'm done with the winter.
djmom

Post by djmom »

My husband is from Myrtle Beach.

You might find a day or two of unseasonably warm temperatures occasionally in the winter in Myrtle Beach, but it isn't going to be warm on a regular basis, I promise. With the wind it can feel bitter cold in late December and January and in surrounding months.

That said, fall lasts a little longer and spring comes a little earlier of course.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Crystal River's got plenty of shopping and all the conveniences of modern Florida...it's just not all that convenient to either airport.

Plus, it's filled with old geezers like yourself. :shock:

There's also a lot of snorkeling in the springs. Do you like manatees?
Nancie-Pa

Post Subject

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Connie, I have a friend who moved to South Pasedena (mailing address is St.Petersburg) with her husband about 3 yrs. ago. They LOVE it! It's about a 5 min. drive to the beach. Every night after work, they head out to listen to music, sip their drinks and watch the sun set while sitting at one of the many restaurants/bars/clubs/tiki huts that are up and down the beach. It seems as if everything they could need is within 5 mins. of them. I've visited a few times and I like it,too. Not STJ but still fun and relaxing. Check it out, it just might be what you're looking for. Good luck!

Nancie

P.S. I attended Radnor High. Where in the Philly Burbs are you?
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
Connie

Post by Connie »

pipanale wrote:Crystal River's got plenty of shopping and all the conveniences of modern Florida...it's just not all that convenient to either airport.

Plus, it's filled with old geezers like yourself. :shock:

There's also a lot of snorkeling in the springs. Do you like manatees?
Pip, I always knew you were a smart a**.

Can't stand manatees :lol:

Will look into it.
Connie

Re: Post Subject

Post by Connie »

Nancie-Pa wrote:Connie, I have a friend who moved to South Pasedena (mailing address is St.Petersburg) with her husband about 3 yrs. ago. They LOVE it! It's about a 5 min. drive to the beach. Every night after work, they head out to listen to music, sip their drinks and watch the sun set while sitting at one of the many restaurants/bars/clubs/tiki huts that are up and down the beach. It seems as if everything they could need is within 5 mins. of them. I've visited a few times and I like it,too. Not STJ but still fun and relaxing. Check it out, it just might be what you're looking for. Good luck!

Nancie
P.S. I attended Radnor High. Where in the Philly Burbs are you?
Hi Nancie...love the St. Pete area and especially Treasure Island. We also have family down there ( husbands side ).

Went to O'Hara and I'm in Havertown!!!!

Did you go to Bahama Breeze with a bunch of people from this forum?
Nancie-Pa

Post Subject

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Hi Connie! My Aunt lives in Havertown, as did my grandparents, on Lawson Ave. It's a great little town!

I didn't go to the forum gathering at Bahama Breeze because I wasn't a member then. I tried to get one together about a year or so ago, but couldn't get it off the ground. (I have a dinosaur of a computer and very little time to be on it. :( ) If anyone else
wants to organize one,(hint,hint, :wink: ) I'm in!

Hope you find something soon in Florida. Winter's comming! :shock:

Nancie
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
dtenel
Location: My feet are in Michigan....My heart is in St. Thomas

Post by dtenel »

We go to Madeira Beach every year and LOVE it!! It is right next to Treasure Island....just over the bridge. We only stay for 2 weeks, but if you are looking for a company to help you find something I would suggest TRS. They are very helpful and have tons of rentals right on the gulf that are long term I believe. Here is there website: www.trsinc.com I always deal with Kyle! Good luck :D
amy5233

Moving near Sanibel

Post by amy5233 »

we love Sanibel. We are going to be at Captiva island next Saturday after I finish up a conference in Bonita Beach! Not SJ but it is my local happy place. The Fort Myers area, which is where you will want to be if you want easy Sanibel access, is nice. You didn't mention your rental budget, that will of course make a difference. There ARE parts of Ft. myers where you won't want to live. ;)

Since Ft Myers is a two hour drive for us, we do many of our Saturday day trips to Sarasota / lido beach. It is very nice and appeals to people our age. (early 50's) Def not a college party type of town. But a very nice area. Good airport connections. Good shopping. And central to both Ft Myers area and St Petersburg beach. If you take a look there...try going to the park by Marina Jack in the evening for a sunset watch. There is a little beach bar there. But be sure to walk out around the point on the walkway. There are adult size, porch style swings and it is just very relaxing

If you can live out by the beaches, St. Pete is a very beautiful area with tons of beach bars and places to end your day on a mellow note. If I was going to rent in that area, I would def. consider the passé grille area. The beach is amazing and it has a bit of an old Florida kind of feel. No highrises etc.

Happy hunting! We ended up dead in the center of Florida when we moved down here-due to a job that I love. But, someday we WILL live at the gulf!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Connie, here's a scan from the Fort Myers newspaper that my friend sent me. It may be of interest to you.

P-600

Post by P-600 »

My daughter lives on Davis Islands in Tampa. Before she purchased she lived on Harbour Island right next door... Derek Jeter built his 25k sf house on DI. It is beautiful and very safe.. The area is called South Tampa. Very convenient to downtown. Clearwater Beach is within 45 mins. but St.Pete Beach is closer... I love this area. You should definintely check it out...
The zip codes are 33606 and 33602.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group