Another car rental question...

Travel discussion for St. John
Need2GetAway

Another car rental question...

Post by Need2GetAway »

If you had a choice between these jeep rental agencies, which would you rent from? I'm thinking safe vehicles, convenient to ferry, Cruz Bay parking availability. (We just want a 2dr Wrangler.)

St John -- $480/wk
Bougainvillea -- $450/wk
Conrad Sutton -- $450/wk
Courtesy St John -- $450/wk

THANKS for your help!!!
petepie

Post by petepie »

I've rented from Conrad Sutton each time and been pleased. Cars were newer, in good shape, and you can park in his lot in Cruz Bay in the evenings. I've also rented with Cool Breeze. No experience with the others on your list.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

We have rented from Mr. Sutton for five of the last six years. In June, we rented from Paris because Mr. Sutton didn't have the larger car that we needed. Conrad is a very nice man with a dry sense of humor. He has always been easy to work with. I didn't meet the Paris guys, but they loved my S/O and were very accommodating....30 minutes arrival at Fish Bay when we had a flat.
bchbum82

Post by bchbum82 »

I have rented Courtesy the past 2 years and reserved for this year with no problems. Both times the Jeeps were good. People are friendly and decent to work with. You can park in their lot, but its not really the closest parking lot.
2catlimit

Post by 2catlimit »

We've had good experiences with Conrad Sutton as well. I agree that their jeeps were in good condition and being able to park in the lot in town was very convenient. They're across the street from the Lime Inn.
Have fun. 8)
Kathy Henion
SeaHorse02

Post by SeaHorse02 »

We rented a great jeep from Bougainvillea. They replied immediately to our reservation request. When we discovered a nail in a tire of our almost new jeep, we were treated to a tour of Artistic Villas and offered a cool drink in the private quarters of Donald Schnell while the tire was fixed. Enjoyed the experience immensely, met a fascinating man, and have reserved with Bougainvillea for our upcoming trip in December.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We had great success with Courtesy, but have not used them since they moved further away from the ferry. We will never rent from Sutton again for reason I don't have the time to write here. We have had great success with St John the last couple of times. I would rathr pay the extra $30 and rent from someone who I know will take care of us.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

From my experience I can't say enough good things about Courtesy. We have rented from them each trip & they have never failed to be reliable, helpful & professional. Great business to support!
Jost Kidding

Post by Jost Kidding »

We have used St John Car Rental & Courtesy and would recommend both. St John Car Rental is more convenient if you want to park in their lot while in town. The walk from Courtesy is not bad though.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We've rented from Suttons, Courtesy, and Amalie. My first choice for next trip is Amalie. If we cannot get the vehicle we want with them, we'll use Courtesy...or any other rental place on St. John that isn't Suttons.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We have always used Sutton's. They have reliable cars, are close to the ferry, you can park in their lot. Sutton is not a jolly old sole, nor is his family, but we have not had any problems. Sounds like the others are really good as well. May have to try some one else for a real comparison. Good to see the comparisons all in a row.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We have always used Bougainvillea and had excellent experiences. Note that their parking is not in "downtown" Cruz Bay but within easy walking distance up from Woodys. We had a problem one time with someone driving too close to our parked Jeep and knocked off the mirror. Bougainvillea handled it nicely. I highly recommend them.
Tam-MO

Post by Tam-MO »

We have used St john Car Rental and it's nice to be able to park in their lot since they are only a block away and really close to everything. The cars have been great and the people were really nice. We have also rented from Bougainvillea when we stayed at the Artistic Villas with Donald Schnell and they have been great as well. Not really convenient for parking close to town though. If that is something you are really looking for than I would recommend St John Car Rental. Plus it's nice that it is only a block from the ferry and you don't have to wait for someone to pick you up. While the hubby's take care of everything we shop and then they come and pick us up! Win Win!! :wink:
bsmiley

Post by bsmiley »

In our first trips down we used St. John. Then it seemed to get to the point where their vehicles were really worn out. The last two times we used them the cars actually had issues with acceleration and transmission "lag" to the point we did not feel safe on some of the hills and took the car back. Since then we have rented from D. Clyne and Coolbreeze.

St. John had great people to work with and in a very good location for parking. Anyone know if they have updated their fleet?
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

This summer we used Paris. A new experience for us was parking at Slim Man's. Can't say enough good things about how friendly they are and so convenient. We had a Durango and parked there about 8 times. Once, we spent 20 minutes going to Low Key and they didn't charge us when we came back. Very nice people.