Traveling with an 18 month old, what to ship ahead????

Travel discussion for St. John
pipergal

Traveling with an 18 month old, what to ship ahead????

Post by pipergal »

I want to ship a box ahead since we are only staying 5 nights this trip and hubby and daughter are traveling together (I am meeting them in STT from a business trip in SJU) I want to help them travel light, so I am sending ahead a box with diaper and wipes,etc.. but what else would you send in advance??
Thanks for you help!
Pipergal
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

At that age, I would have wanted to ship sunscreen, any water toys and if there was room in the box, I would add favorite snacks. My son loved a certain brand of protein/granola bar that I always had on hand when travelling.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I'd ship your sanity because, if you ask me, it's quite clear you've misplaced it. Good luck on those flights
:wink:
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I think you're nuts too. LOL! I brought a 2½ year old down and traveled with 4 adults and I'd never do it again.

I just wonder if your husband will have trouble flying internationally with her without you, though. I think I'd have a notarized letter in his pocket from you authorizing the trip.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Jumbiegirl wrote:I just wonder if your husband will have trouble flying internationally with her without you, though. I think I'd have a notarized letter in his pocket from you authorizing the trip.
This might not be a bad idea. We had a bizarre experience in San Juan where the C&I agent gave us a really hard time and peppered my son with questions. He was 3.5 at the time and was confused and flustered. FWIW - My husband and I were standing right there, our son has his own passport and I always carry his birth certificate to prove that he belongs to us. Yet the officer still gave us hard time.

Here is a link to a trip report I wrote when our son was 17 months old. Maybe some of it will be helpful. Scroll down, the part about travelling with a 17 month old is in post 10.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... rt&start=0

Hopefully PSUWethr will chime in, she has travelled to STJ several times a year, often alone, with her child starting when she was very young.
melmd

Post by melmd »

I have been down several times with my kids, my youngest was 9 months old. We had grandparents along for the trip so that helped, but with good planning I think your husband will do fine.

I would ship snacks, sunblock, bug replenent ( I like the "Bug No Bite Me"), a pop-up tent for shade, diapers, medicine, and anything else special that you may need. The less the "stuff" your husband has to carry/haul the better.
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

I think you have been provided with great info-I will add this from experience- Make sure that your husband has a good sippy cup(unless you child will suck on a lollipop) it helps relieve ear pressure on the plane. I always bring baby powder it makes removing sand easy- you sprinkle on and wipe off.
darmu

Post by darmu »

Just to add my two bits - we took our then 18month old to St John about 4 years ago. The flight was the biggest problem but she had a great time while we were there and it was a fantastic trip.
We rented baby goods from:

http://www.islandbabyvi.com/

This made things easier and reduced the things we needed to bring. They were great and had things at the villa when we arrived.
Have a great trip!
pipergal

Post by pipergal »

Thanks so much for all of the great pointers!! We traveled together with her to STJ in April, but at 8 months she definitely needed less entertainment! I rented car seat from Islandbaby and now I will just ship ahead my box of goodies!! Thanks again! This forum is the best! Happy New Year!
Pipergal
pipergal

Post by pipergal »

Oh and Hubby and baby are flying direct from EWR to STT and I am flying in from SJU and are meeting them at the airport, but I will get the notarized letter, especially since baby has a passport. Cant wait for 6 days/5 nights on STJ!!!! Come soon!! Thanks again!!
Pipergal