Back pack or beach bag?

Travel discussion for St. John
HawkeyeChick

Back pack or beach bag?

Post by HawkeyeChick »

Ok, silly question I know but I have vacation on my mind. :)

Do you all take a backpack with you to the beach or do you just bring a big beach bag? Normally I'd bring a bag but it sounds like that could be a pain with all of the trails etc.

Also, where does one find a waterproof bag so that I can attach it to my swimsuit? I figured it'd be easier to keep track of money/keys that way.

Thanks.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I am a big fan of the LL Bean Boat & Tote bag w/ extra long handles. I hate a beach bag w/ short handles that I can't throw up over my shoulder.

For the waterproof thing ... try an otterbox. We don't have one and haven't ever needed one (not sure what we did w/ keys etc, I guess someone was always around the stuff), but others have said good things about them.
stjdreamin

I have the perfect combo backpacks

Post by stjdreamin »

HI there,

I have a backpack that has 2 good size insulated/waterproof compartments on the bottom plus a regular size backpack area from top. Each of us have our own and pack everything we need for a day at the beach...drinks in bottom area, food in next insulated compartment and all towels etc. in the top. I got them off Ebay(for $12 + $4 shipping) but am sure you can find them lots of places 8)
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hi Hawkeye Chick---

Think it depends on what beach you're going to, how close to road, whether you'll be hiking, etc. Just to give you a variety of perspectives, but without saying ours is the "right way," we just use a beach bag. But then we usually go to Hawksnest, Trunk, Maho---beaches that do not require a hike. If you're going to the beach at Caneel, where you're staying as I recall, don't think you'd need a backpack. Might be helpful, though, for the hike to Salt Pond.
---Jim
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I think a backpack is just easier. Our snorkel gear came in a small backpack and was soooo much easier to tote around.
Genral

Post by Genral »

Lazy way: snorkel gear in one tote, towel over the shoulder, bottle of water in hand, couple 20's and driver's license in pocket......
No matter where you go, there you are.
HawkeyeChick

Post by HawkeyeChick »

Thanks guys. Clearly I have too much time on my hands today if I'm posting about this! LOL!

Jim, good memory. We are staying at Caneel Bay but we're hoping to get to some of the more remote beaches too. There are a ton of Iowans on St. John boards....wonder why.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I just carry what ever the six on the beach tell me to
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

What do you mean backpack or beach bag??? We bring both!!!!! Actually, we only bring both if it’s just the two of us and we are planning on spending the better portion of the day on the beach. When we have our two boys we have all backpacks: one takes the backpack cooler, that stjdreamin was talking about, another takes the snorkel gear backpack and then we have two normal backpacks – one for the towels & neat sheet and the other for cameras, binoculars, books, snacks and other stuff.

We agree with Flip Flop, the LL Bean beach bag has nice long handles that make it easy to put it over a shoulder.
Bob & Anita
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

BOTH also. Hubby, 19-yr. old son, and this time around, 20-yr. old nephew and I each carry our own backpacks w/ towel, water bottles, ipod, book, etc. We each carry a light weight chair, and one person will carry the snorkel gear, one will carry the beach bag with cameras, snacks, suntan lotion (in separate section - we don't wamt accidental slime on the cameras), sheet, etc... and another will carry a small soft cooler with a few items. We like to keep the beach bag the designated dry haven - no damp things allowed - so the cameras, food are safe :wink:
Peace,

Lisa
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

We do carry on only and bring a small backpack as our small item carry on and stuff it full, works great for the beach
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

I have an otter box that I got at Cruz Bay watersports years ago that I put keys and money, it has a neck string or a clip for your bathing suit and it floats. I have a back pack from Northface that has a waterproof section in it. I think the style is borealis. I have two dry bags , one small and one medium that I would use for swimming my camera over to Soggy dollar or Sandy spit.
Beach bags are fine also, but I always use the otter box. I end up just kind of using it as my wallet for the week.
BabaAus

keepin' stuff dry and safe

Post by BabaAus »

>Also, where does one find a waterproof bag so that I can attach it to my swimsuit? I figured it'd be easier to keep track of money/keys that way<

There are also small "dry bags" in the style of fanny packs into which you can fit a wallet, keys and small camera. I got one years ago (at REI) for a trip to Palau and have found it to be invaluable.
beecypresstx

Post by beecypresstx »

Also, where does one find a waterproof bag so that I can attach it to my swimsuit? I figured it'd be easier to keep track of money/keys that way.

We have both. An otter box for car keys and wallet. I have a Splash Caddy from Magellans. www.magellans.com. I have the smaller one. I have used it for years and really like it.