Rent car on St. Thomas/car ferry to St. John?

Travel discussion for St. John
newby123

Rent car on St. Thomas/car ferry to St. John?

Post by newby123 »

We will be staying on St. John. We are thinking of renting a car on St. Thomas and taking it over to St. John. Does anyone know if there are any companies that do NOT let you take your car to St. John? I'm interested in hearing pros and cons of doing this.

We were advised that groceries were cheaper on St. Thomas and that we could buy most of what we need before getting on the car ferry. Is food that much cheaper on St. Thomas?
briankeene

Post by briankeene »

We rented our car at the airport and took the ferry to St John. It was nice to load the bags in and do our shopping then ferry across. We got a small 2 wheel drive car and it was fine on our last trip. I'm doing the same in a couple weeks.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

For years we rented on St. John but after hitching a ride to the airport with another forumite on my last trip, we will always rent on STT from Amalie Car Rental. It was soooo much easier than the cab ride from Redhook and waiting around between villa check out and car rental return till we had to leave for the airport.

We have them booked for our next trip and part of our date decision was making sure there was an available car from them.

They pick you up at the airport and you return the car to them at the airport. It doesn't get any easier than that!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We always rent our on STT. We've used Avis once or twice but usually rent from Budget. We also always get groceries on STT, we stop at the Food Center shortly before the ferry dock.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Rhonda

Post by Rhonda »

We always rent on STT from Discount Car Rental. We usually buy some groceries on our way to the car ferry.
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

To the best of my knowledge, Hertz is the only company that will NOT let you take their vehicles to STJ.

Discount rents a few smaller vehicles that you can't take either. But any of their 4-wheel drive vehicles are fine...
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We rented on STJ twice. Last visit, we rented from Amalie on STT, and liked that better. We liked being met right at the airport, and loading our luggage directly into the Jeep and taking off. It felt like vacation started the second we got in the Jeep. The rental paperwork was MUCH quicker than either place we rented on STJ.
We actually enjoyed our drive across STT, and didn't feel like it was such a "big scary" place. We will spend more time on STT now. We're looking forward to a BBQ joint on STT to start our trip, this year. STT just seemed so busy, until WE were in charge of our vehicle. Groceries were cheaper and it was nice to have that out of the way.
We felt sort of like "locals," taking the car barge over. We sat with some young people who work on STJ and had a very interesting conversation.
Last, we had more time and freedom on our departure day.
I know there were alot of "we's" in this reply, but it was fun and freeing and the way to go for us. We're renting from Amalie again next month. They just couldn't make the process easier, and are SO friendly and professional.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

We have rented on both and our personal preference is now to rent on STT. We were using Dependable for several trips and this past trip we tried Amalie and I don't think we will ever leave them!! Getting the keep at the airports such an axing luxury and getting on the road within fifteen minutes of getting off the plane is so cool. One of our main reasons we love getting the vehicle in STT is that we love going to CostULess and picking up the essentials for the trip! The other reason is the trip back is less rushed ad we usually get to spend our last island meal with friends on STT!! The old advantage of parking if you rented on STJ is less relevant IMO now since the new lot is open.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

We have always rented on STT. The first year our decision was definitely cost driven and we went with Budget. It was such a complete PITA and cluster that I vowed I would never be back!! A co-worker recommended Amalie for the next year, and I cannot rave enough about them!! Their customer service exceeds any expectation and the vehicles are brand new!! They have our vote and business year after year!! Also, as a family of 5, it is cost effective for us to use the car barge and pay one set price vs per person!! Try it, I think you'll like it!! :D
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We will always rent on STT as we have 6 of us in our party and eventhough we have it down to carry ons, its a greeat drive...allows more freedom...gets us driving left quicker...we have great experinces with Dependable, Discount and Budget. We get to explore STT more on the way to and back and the cost(s) seem to make sense. And if you want to feel like a 'local' as we do...the car barge is the way to go. The one thing we miss is that view coming into Cruz Bay. But we'll get that when we rent a digny or boat from Ocean Runners
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I would highly recommend Costuless or Plaza Extra for a STJ stock up buying trip if you are renting a car in STT.
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

We decided not to rent on STT because someone on this board wrote awhile ago that if you have a problem on STJ you are on your own. Although I think that I did read recently on this board that there is one STT rental company that also has an office on STJ and they would help you.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

It's funny you should mention the break-down issue, because it hadn't even crossed my mind. I get the gut feeling from interaction with Amalie, that they would take care of their customer. Their vehicles are also in great shape. I don't remember it being addressed, though, so I've just sent Magdalena an email about it.
I'll post the response, since Amalie is getting alot of attention here lately.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

My email:
Good day, Magdalena!
I wonder if you could address a question I have, at your
convenience...no rush whatsoever.
I continually see postings on travel forums, that one should not rent
a vehicle on STT for a STJ vacation, as the traveller is "on your own"
in the event of a vehicle break down. It reminded me today, that I
don't know your policy. I am not really concerned, because I believe
you have terrific vehicles and unmatched customer service, but I'm
curious.
Thanks very much!

And Magdalena's (immediate) reply:
Dear Minde,
You cannot even imagine the effort that we are making renewing our fleet every year - so that nothing might go wrong - mechanically speaking.
But at the same time we have the info for VI Autoclub hanging together with our key. In case something does happen (the worst was a flat tire) they will show up to help fast.
magdalena
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

And Magdalena's (immediate) reply:
Dear Minde,
You cannot even imagine the effort that we are making renewing our fleet every year - so that nothing might go wrong - mechanically speaking.
But at the same time we have the info for VI Autoclub hanging together with our key. In case something does happen (the worst was a flat tire) they will show up to help fast.
magdalena[/quote]

As expected!!