Disney for grownups

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
ShipwreckPat

Disney for grownups

Post by ShipwreckPat »

We had a timeshare exchange about to expire so took the easy route and found a place in Kissimmee. Never having children, we never found ourselves wanting to visit Disney but now find ourselves heading that way in May. So besides the obvious Disney stuff is there anything else I should be looking at? Any favorite restaurants? I know all about the chain places that are in abundance there but any small quiet finds I need to know about? How about night life, not that I can ususally stay awake?

Help 2 late 50 somethings find fun in a sea of kids.
augie

Post by augie »

Hi Pat - you'll be staying about an hour or so from where we live. I've relished the fact that my sons have not been Disney oriented for a number of years now, and tend to remember the days that they were much the way I'd imagine former inmates recall their incarcerations! :shock:

That being said, you're within easy driving distance of a spectrum of experiences. If you give me an idea of the kinds of things you'd like to do, I could probably come up with some suggestions for you.
Come see us!
ShipwreckPat

Post by ShipwreckPat »

Thanks Augie. Well we are open to doing anything that you can not do living on St John. We are foodies and are looking to fill the time between meals! Are there any plays, ballets, concerts that are not Disney like? We are originally from North Jersey so we still miss things that you can only do in the City even after 24 years away from it. Appreciate your time.
augie

Post by augie »

Orlando has a pretty active music and arts scene. Go to Ticketmaster.com, select Orlando and your range of dates, and you'll see what's playing while you're in town.

If you've never been to the Space Center that's pretty cool, but it's probably a ninety minute drive to get there - although you may be able to find a bus tour that would take you there if you're interested.

Downtown Orlando might be fun to walk around if you want to walk off some of those dinners and/or do a pub crawl.

That's just a start - if I think of anything else, I'll post it here.
Come see us!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I am not sure how much, if any, time you are planning to spend in the theme parks themselves, but I am here to tell you that the food at the parks is generally disappointing. I think I have eaten at almost every place in all four parks (buffets excepted--I have a thing about buffets), and honestly, it's all pretty mediocre. Some of the resort hotels have better options. Victoria and Albert's at the Grand Floridian is very good, but also very expensive. I liked Bluezoo at the Dolphin last time we ate there. Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge is usually good though I have had a couple of disaster meals there as well.

If someone has recommendations for good places off site I think you'll enjoy those much more than the formal meals in the parks. One positive thing I will say about Disney food/restaurants is that they are great at dealing with food allergies.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jmq

Post by jmq »

If you decide you might want to try the theme parks, the more adult-ish stuff there could include tours etc. at the Disney Hollywood Studios
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/ ... d-studios/
walk the “countries” loop at Epcot (late afternoon when the familes are leaving); and the movie studio stuff at Universal.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

We had to go to Orlando last month, and were also not sure what to do. The nicest day we had there was spent at Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales, south of Orlando. If you enjoy arboretums, you'll enjoy this peaceful place.
http://boktowergardens.org/
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

If you make over to Disney boardwalk area or Epcot I second Bluezoo, I also like Shula's at the Dolphin.

A first for us 3 weeks ago was the Yachtsman steakhouse at the Disney Yacht Club, I thought it was excellent, there's also a nice little lounge nearby.

Beaches and Creme is a cute little ice cream shop at the Beach Club that is good, and just next door to the Yacht Club.

If you make it to the Grand Floridian Victoria and Alberts is good as is Narcooses, they have the music from the "wishes" firework show piped in during the show as well as a view of the fireworks, its pretty cool.

Must do rides: Soarin', Test Track,Rocking Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Bugs Life, Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, Philharmagic, splash mountain, space mountain

If youve never seen Blueman group theay play nearby as well as La Noube - Disneys Cirque du Soleil plasy at Downtown Disney-

If at Epcot - dont miss the Tequila Bar inside of Mexico! Have Fun
augie

Post by augie »

Like I said (or at least implied) - it's been a while since I've been "on property", but we used to enjoy the fresh fish at Flying Fish Cafe, which is at the Boardwalk/near the back entrance to Epcot.

But Pat probably isn't coming to Florida to eat fresh fish!
Come see us!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

On a recommendation from friends who have been there several times, we just bought a gift card for other friends for a restaurant called Columbia in Celebration, FL. Columbia specializes in Spanish and Cuban food. From the info they sent us, it looks very nice.

Looks like it's about 15-20 minutes from Orlando.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Pat
In May- I would seriously come on over to Casa McKibben for home cooking by Augie followed by a walk on the beach to see the sea turtles ( loggerheads usually) lay their eggs!! We would love to have you!! His food is nearly as good as a little place I know called Shipwreck! :wink: ( if you are interested PM us ).
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

See La Nouba in Downtown Disney. It's a great show (we've seen it twice).