Lovers Key, Florida (pictures)

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Florida Girl

Lovers Key, Florida (pictures)

Post by Florida Girl »

Yesterday we drove down to Lovers Key to check it out, and we were NOT disappointed! There's so much to see... so many birds and shells and it's just plain beautiful there! Here are a few pictures...

Ibis

Great Blue Heron

Osprey

Manta Rays swimming under and around the foot bridge to the beach

Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

NOTE TO SELF - Must research Lovers Key more in depth. It looks beautiful.
Thanks Florida Girl for posting!
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous! Must get to the Ft Myers area again soon!
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Yes- Thanks for sharing - great pics, love that one with the tree in the water
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Thanks! The tree is one of my favorites too!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thanks for posting these. They remind me a lot of places on Sanibel and Cayo Costa. I love that part of Florida. This reminds me I need to go look at your blog. I was very interested in reading it since one day we will move to a coastal area in the south. I've lived in the same area my whole life, and only moved from one side of our town to another 3 times. Moving to a whole different area seems like an adventure to me :)
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I need to go there! Nice pictures. Exactly where is it? What Key? We just went as far as Islamorada last summer and I was disappointed. I wish we would have found this place.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Bill, moving cross-country is definitely an adventure! And adventure and a WHOLE LOTTA WORK! But definitely worth it! :)

I've been checking out Cayo Costa (also very close to us), but I think you need a boat to get there. (??) We love Sanibel, too, but until "season" ends, we're avoiding it for now! LOL!
Last edited by Florida Girl on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Sea-nile, Lovers Key isn't in "the Keys," it's a spot between Fort Myers Beach and Bonita Beach. It's totally accessible by car and not at all difficult to get to. We plan to go back often!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

That is even better FG! My mom lives fairly close to there.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Margo,

You may also like Stump Pass. Check it out. My Dad used to take us there for a picnic. I remember getting nipped by a crab. Water is Caribbean like.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

I'll definitely check that out, Terry! Thanks for the tip!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I understand about avoiding Sanibel in season. I visited my parents who live in Venice and we went to Sanibel for the day in mid Feb. It was really jammed. They like to eat at Granma Dots in the marina, and we had to wait quite a while for a table. Had great seafood there.

When you visit Sanibel, be sure to visit Periwinkle Park. When you go across the causeway and take a right to go on the main drag, its a little ways down on the left. Its a campground and they take in rescue birds. They have a small sanctuary where you can see different kinds of parrots, macaws, lemurs, toucans, and several kinds of ducks. You have to park in a lot right outside the main gate, and its just a short walk to the bird area. Its a fun little place, and some of the parrots are very verbal.

To visit Cayo Costa, you have to go by boat. We rented a small boat at Jensen's Twin Marina (on Captiva) and they give you a chart to get up there. We saw lots of dolphins along the way. If you don't want to rent a boat, there are also several tour boats that take you up there, including one from Jensen's. We went to Cayo Costa many years ago, and it was completely undeveloped. You just beached your boat, and walked along the beach, which was totally covered in shells. I see online that its now a park, so I don't know what it its like now.

Have fun exploring your new area!

Jeri (the 'J' in B&J)
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Hey Jeri -

Thanks for all the tips!! We will definitely check out the birds and animals at Periwinkle Park. We're real "softies" when it comes to animal sanctuarys! Thanks for telling me about it! Also, Granma Dots! We're always looking for another good place to eat. Unfortunately sometimes we find out the hard way when restaurants are bad... for instance, NEVER EVER eat at the Junkanoo Beach Bar on Fort Myers Beach! I was sick for 2 days!

When it comes to Cayo Costa, we'll probably have to take a tour boat because we don't know anything about operating a boat! Since it's not easy to get to (like you can't drive there), I bet it's not too spoiled, even though they've turned it into a State Park. Actually, sometimes a State Park will save a place (like the NP on STJ). And if the beach is covered with shells, like Sanibel, I definitely have to go there! ;)