Day sail/trip recommendations/ideas

Travel discussion for St. John
tochin

Day sail/trip recommendations/ideas

Post by tochin »

Hi all,

Love reading the forum. It pulls you in once you click on the link! 8)

We are looking for recommendations for a day sail that we can take with our 7 year old son. He is still a beginner swimmer and snorkeling, like the Indians, would be too much for him. I'm considering a trip to the Baths since climbing rocks and caves would work. It would be nice to be able to get to a different island/beach for a bit. A Jost trip is too much "cocktail" focused for a trip with a 7 year old I think.

So, any ideas, experiences, or links you can share?

Thanks so much,
Todd
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We have taken our now 6yo on day trips since he was 4yo.

My thoughts on the Baths - that is at least a 1.5 hour fast boat trip. Depending on when you visit, it may be very crowded inside the caves, which means a lot of standing around waiting and very little crawling and exploring. We loved the day we spent at Spring Bay, which is next to the Baths but without the crowds (and caves) but lots of rocks to swim around.

We did a day trip with lunch at Cooper Island, which was pretty cool but Cooper was sort of a long haul that didn't give us a lot of time at the snorkel spots and JVD.

We really liked the trip we took that had a snorkel stop at what the captain called "3 Ball Reef" which was at Waterlemon (good spot for beginners and lots to see) a lunch stop on JVD (the other harbor) and then finished at White Bay. Sadly, that boat has since been sold. The husband and wife time that operated it was fantastic.

JVD being too "cocktail-y" probably depends on the overall crowd and your personal feelings about having kids around bars.

The day we were there, it was sort of crowded but there was plenty of room for us to hang out. Our son got a kick out of watching his aunties and uncles play the ring game and liked walking up and down the beach. I am totally fine with walking on the beach with a cocktail in one hand and holding his hand with the other but I know some parents have very different feelings.

I think Capt Phil of the Wayward Sailor would be an excellent choice if you are interested in snorkelling and being on a sailboat. We sailed with him when my son was just 4.5 months old. Capt Phil had the very nervous newbie snorkellers (the adults) out paddling around in no time.

I would think Capt Brandy of Palm Tree Charters would be a good choice too, he has a 6 person power boat.
jmq

Post by jmq »

As noted, the Baths are 1.5 hrs each way via powerboat and is usually too far to daysail - you would have to have the right conditions with good wind.

No doubt others will echo Captain Phil as being a particularly good choice with the kids.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

We have been out on Long Distance (http://www.saillongdistance.com/) out of Coral Bay. We enjoyed it thoroughly.

Rick and Robin don't go to the BVI, but they do take you to places that you wouldn't normally see. We especially enjoyed Newfound Bay on the Northeast side of the island.

It would be a great choice for your son. Rick and Robin are great hosts and Robin will snorkel with you and point out the 'good stuff'.
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
brooklyn

Post by brooklyn »

Another vote for Rick & Robin. We sailed with them twice and enjoyed both trips.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Another vote for Capt. Phil! He gets in the water with you and helps you "see" and he teaches you about what you're seeing! He offers a snack (we had brownies & fresh fruit) on-board, but no booze...just sodas. It's a great day for families, not a booze cruise!

http://www.waywardsailor.net/
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

More votes for Captain Phil and Rick and Robin. As others have said, they sail on different sides of the island. Rick and Robin sail from Coral Bay and Captain Phil from Cruz Bay. Both trips were great. If I had to pick, I'd probably choose Captain Phil, because he's a great teacher and really makes newbies feel at ease.

We also took our son to the Baths on the Stormy Petrel when he was almost 6. You did need to swim to shore from the boat (you could take a noodle or wear a life jacket) We had lunch at Cooper Island, and then stopped at The Indians, which was a great snorkel, but it's "in the middle of nowhere", meaning no land to swim to, just the boat. My guy got tired after a while, and the captain put him on a pool float and pushed him around.

Whichever you choose, this will be a trip that your son will never forget. Enjoy!