Tell me about Swogjan’s Dragon, Ixora, Skyridge, Coral Rays

Travel discussion for St. John
chicagoans

Tell me about Swogjan’s Dragon, Ixora, Skyridge, Coral Rays

Post by chicagoans »

Looking at villas for 4 adults, 3 teens. Would like a pool, Coral Bay area, on the affordable side (under $6k for high season.)

These are on my list:
Swogjan’s Dragon, Ixora, Skyridge, Coral Rays, Debolina, maybe Satinwood if I can get past the idea of the compost toilets, and maybe VillAllure but it looks like the pool is usually shaded and therefore would be cold.

If you've stayed at any of these or have other recommendations, please let me know your thoughts!

Thank you.
loria

Post by loria »

don't let the composting toilets dissuade you-- seriously-- they are no big deal -
jealous!!!1 is this for next years 8 tuff?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
pnoeric

Re: Tell me about Swogjan’s Dragon, Ixora, Skyridge, Coral R

Post by pnoeric »

chicagoans wrote:Looking at villas for 4 adults, 3 teens. Would like a pool, Coral Bay area, on the affordable side (under $6k for high season.)
hi Chicagoans, I don't know much about the villas you mention, but you may also want to look at:
  • In The Stars (around $5200 for your stay, discount may be available)
  • Rainbow Beach House (also around $5200 a week; in Johnson's Bay, a gated community that's a short drive from the main area of Coral Bay... also, beachfront! your own private beach!)
Eric Mueller (& John McCann)
Last Minute Island Vacation villa rentals
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

The only one I know of is Swojan's dragon. I know the owners and they are super nice people.
They bought the house about 12 years ago and added the pool and did some great landscaping.
It is an island house. It is not luxurious but well cared for.
I love the location, since you are close to the North Shore and just a few miles to Cruz Bay or Coral Bay.

The downstairs bedroom would be perfect for the teens if they don't mind all sharing a bedroom.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

We've stayed at Ixora for many years. Someone asked me about it last year and I sent them a long PM review....let me try to find that and PM you a copy.....
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Thanks all! In The Stars hadn't been on my radar - looks great! (Sadly it's booked. Darn those early planners.) Rainbow Beach is on the list too and currently open. Looks intriguing!

X: I'm thinking like you re: Swogjan's. I think the room with 3 beds would be great for the teens, even tho one is a boy (my DS) and the others are girls (my DD and friends' DD.) They've vacationed together before and bunked in the same room. I think they'd be fine sharing again. And non-luxurious is fine by us! Luxury is not in our budget and anyway being on STJ is all the luxury I need. (OK I like plumbing, too.)

Surfnh I'll watch for your PM! Thanks!

Lori: yep, it's for 8 Tuff! Woo hoo! So many houses already booked. arrrggg.
dbeahan

Post by dbeahan »

You may also want to check this one out - located on Bordeaux Mountain, about 2 miles from Coral Bay, 5 miles from Cruz Bay. We stayed there about 10 years ago and it was a beautiful property.

http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/mystic-ridge.html
Chet

Post by Chet »

dbeahan wrote:You may also want to check this one out - located on Bordeaux Mountain, about 2 miles from Coral Bay, 5 miles from Cruz Bay. We stayed there about 10 years ago and it was a beautiful property.

http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/mystic-ridge.html
Our favorite - we stayed there 5 times. Perfect for your group. Pool gets sun all day. Look at the floor plan on the web site. Maho is a 5 min drive down the hill. Coral Bay is 10 min away, Cruze Bay 15 min.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Mystic Ridge looks wonderful and I contacted the owners / managers about it. They charge holiday rates during President's Week so it's over $6500. :cry: Looks great though! Loving the suggestions!
Cindy in pa

Post by Cindy in pa »

Coral Rays is great. Our family of 5 stayed there in 2005. The views are great. The road was quite hairy but has since been paved so not bad at all. There are many steps from main pod down to 2 beautiful master bedrooms both with full baths. The other 2 bedrooms are connected with a bath and are on pool level below the main pod.
deniseb

Post by deniseb »

We were thinking about Ixora, but I don't think there is any air in the bedrooms. No big deal for some, but we have 4 gals in our party of 8 and we need our air!
My sister spoke with the owner and she said he was super and offered a good discount. However, we went with Estate Fortsberg, it looks fabulous!
Have a wonderful vacation!

Denise
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

I can tell you about DeBolina as we just returned from a wonderful 9 days there mid-April. There are 4 bedrooms plus a very cool loft bedroom that would be perfect for an older child or teen. The bedrooms (upper queen and twins, and lower queen and twins) are fairly comparable, queens each having a private bath w/shower, lower having a small balcony; upper having sliders to a large screened-in back porch. The lower twin BR has sliders to a deck with stairs to the pool deck.

The kitchen and great room area are large with a lot of natural light and a view over Coral Bay and the BVIs that is to die for! Off the great room there are double sliders to the balcony. Unfortunately there is no dining table on this balcony, just comfy teak furniture. There is however a very large (seats 8 ), very practical indoor dining table off the kitchen with the same gorgeous view. The outdoor dining table (smaller) is on the pool deck which is located on the side of the villa (same amazing view, accessible via walkway from the main entrance or via stairs from the lower twin bedroom). The screened-in porch also has a decently sized table which seats 6 if I remember right. The pool location might be a deal-breaker if you enjoy having a pool adjacent to your main living area, but for us with kids ages 5-11 it was easier to "close the pool" for the evening and not worry about leaving the great room doors open.

The kitchen was probably the best equipped kitchen I have ever seen in a rental villa! It had everything you would ever need and more, and the layout is better than my kitchen at home.

DeBolina's location on Ajax Peak Road (entry off Centerline ~100 feet beyond the smoothie stand on the left) is IMHO the best location on the island; 5 min to Coral Bay, 5 min to Maho, 10-15 min to Cruz Bay, gives you the best of all worlds.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck! :)