Tell me the difference between May and Feb trips

Travel discussion for St. John
momto3boys

Tell me the difference between May and Feb trips

Post by momto3boys »

We just got back from our first trip to St.John. We are thinking of going back in February this next trip. I am unsure of that time. Afraid the pools will be too cold unless heated and that the water at the beaches will be cooler as well. Am I right on that? It looks like the air temps are about the same. We also read that Feb. is suppose to be the driest month.

I have to say that I loved May but Chuck is leaning toward February. I would assume that May is less crowded since there are lower rates then. Any insight you can give us would be great.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Presidents Day "week" is crazy on St John - water is cooler but island is "dryer" :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
momto3boys

Post by momto3boys »

Pia wrote:Presidents Day "week" is crazy on St John - water is cooler but island is "dryer" :)

Pia
I forgot about President's Day. Is the rest of the month okay tourist wise?
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We have been going in February for years. After this last trip, I will avoid Presidents Day week, it was just too crowded.

Pool temps depend on location. We have had very warm (but not heated) pools and frigid ones.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Prices are higher in February, since "off season" begins mid-April.
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

Personally, we had a wonderful time on STJ during Presidents Week this year. I don't think we saw it as crazy at all. I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

But for the rest of you... yeah, you shouldn't go then! :wink:

(we'll be going again next year... have no choice when you're married to a teacher)
jess116000

Post by jess116000 »

There is also the 8 Tuff Miles race in February, which can get a lil crowded @ times. I say go BOTH :) Can never have too much STJ time!
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

We have been in March and May. The air temps and lower humidity in March were delightful but the water was a little cool (Though definitely swimmable). The biggest thing aout the winter months is the higher chance for North Swells and tougher seas. May was much muggier and buggier but the water was warm and calm.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

We've been in Feb and late April. I thought the weather was clearer in April - i.e. fewer clouds (that is an unscientific survey lol). Also, the water was definitely cooler in Feb. The pool was freezing both months. LOL. I prefer April, but not that Easter week!!!
scoob

Post by scoob »

We always travel during February break,it does get busy.But we try to remember to be on island time and enjoy the days.
I am used to swimming in the St.Lawrence River and nice cool Adirondack lakes !
The water is no problem for this Upstater !!
Scoob
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

We have been in February and April many times. The ocean water is cooler in Feb but it was still very warm this past Feb- much warmer than it ever is here in New England. The pool at the villa that we rented this Feb was very warm- it got a lot of sun all day- so it depends upon the pool location at the villa and you probably can't find that out unless someone on the forum knows about your rental. The only time we have felt that the beaches or water were crowded in Feb. is when a tour arrives-usually from a cruise ship and this has only happened to us at Trunk. Prices are really attractive after mid April but the appeal of Feb is that you get away from winter.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I love to get away in February, but I do like the warmer water temps and fewer people in May! Honestly, I'd go anytime I'd get a chance! :D
Image[/url]
petepie

Post by petepie »

Went in January and had to deal with north swells, made our favorite north shore beaches unswimmable. Went another year in early May and had rain 5 days out of our 10 day trip, plus awful mosquitoes. Have been twice in late March/early April and had great weather both times, but some north swells this last time. So, I would stay away from late April/May and aim for February/March instead.
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Always travel in Feb....agree with Pa Girl..never again during Pres Week (way too busy this year). I find the water temp perfect and we too have always had pools in full sun, so refreshing as a breath of air. Didn't really need AC but used it a few nights in the bedroom.
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Florida Girl wrote:Prices are higher in February, since "off season" begins mid-April.
Yes... Money! We can't aford inseason prices... so 2 weeks in May (or for us June) or one week in season... hmmmm :roll: