to Florida Girl, do you live near the snakes?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
linne

to Florida Girl, do you live near the snakes?

Post by linne »

http://jyllands-posten.dk/international ... 737675.ece

saw this about python snakes in our newspaper!

Linne
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Hi Linne!

We live quite a distance from the Everglades, but we still get the snakes, just not as many as if we lived closer. I've never seen one, but I have heard that they are around. We did see a "Black Racer" snake in our yard, but they're not very big and they're "good" snakes.

One reason I like having our patio and pool screened is that we can let our cats outside and not have to worry that they will meet up with one of these big snakes or lizards or alligators. But in general, you don't see these animals around on a daily basis. If you go out into the wooded or swampy areas, I'm sure you could find one, though!

We see little tiny lizards every day... in fact I had to evict two from the house yesterday! But you find those little gecko-type lizards in any tropical climate and I welcome them as they eat other bugs! Our cat, Jack, has become particularly adept at catching the little lizards that somehow manage to get into the patio under the screen, but we always make him drop the little creature and we "catch and release" them back into the neighborhood! :D
linne

Post by linne »

Fine that it mostly are lizards, which entertain you. We have lizards in Spain too.

We have also seen a snake- not a python- a couple of times, but even though I know they are harmless they still gives me the creeps.

Linne
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

I understand about getting the creeps, Linne. I try not to be scared and remember which snakes are the "good" ones, but I still get the creeps too! :lol:
linne

Re: to Florida Girl, do you live near the snakes?

Post by linne »

lprof

Post by lprof »

I'll probably drop by and take a look when the snake is on view.
Linne, same story perhaps...
http://www.gainesville.com/article/2012 ... /120819833
... no longer a stranger to paradise
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I, too, live in Florida and I am actual phobia of snakes. This year I am going to try to work through this (again) with a friend who is an expert - he actually has a tv show called Python Hunter and he goes down to the Everglades to catch the big guys- I know crazy, huh!!!
We have had all sorts in our yards including coral snakes and although I am not proud of this, I basically freeze in place and pee on myself because the fear takes over :oops: . ( I have had some experiences in the past that have leme to these fears including a nasty situation on the NYC subway with a crazy woman.)
So luckily I have not had a really bad situation in my yard- I was much more secure when I had the gator in my yard and could see him :)
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting